Enter your e-mail address below to get Musing Upchurch sent directly to your in-box!

Past Ponderings

Saturday, August 23, 2014

PONDERING... Truth in the Midst Trials (The Resurrection of Lazarus Part 3:vs 17-27)

Disclaimer: This is a very famous passage of scripture, and will be addressed in several parts. However, I do not want to take for granted that everyone is familiar with how this passage ends. This is the account of Jesus raising Lazarus, His friend, from the dead. In the account, we learn that Jesus allowed this all to happen for a purpose. Lazarus died, and Jesus brought Him back...teaching us, and those who witnessed the event, much about Himself.

John 11:17-27  Now when Jesus came, he found that Lazarus had already been in the tomb four days.  18  Bethany was near Jerusalem, about two miles off,  19  and many of the Jews had come to Martha and Mary to console them concerning their brother.  20  So when Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she went and met him, but Mary remained seated in the house.  21  Martha said to Jesus, "Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.  22  But even now I know that whatever you ask from God, God will give you."  23  Jesus said to her, "Your brother will rise again."  24  Martha said to him, "I know that he will rise again in the resurrection on the last day."  25  Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live,  26  and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?"  27  She said to him, "Yes, Lord; I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who is coming into the world."

When we encounter trials, reason often flees. This is true for any circumstance where emotions are high. Now, emotions are not bad. We'll get to that next week; Jesus responds with both here. However, emotions can be dominating. Thus, undirected, they can be dangerous. The first thing we see Jesus doing here, as He did with the disciples in the previous verses, is point Martha to truth.

1. The Circumstance
Martha has just suffered the loss of her brother. She approaches Jesus, who she knows could have prevented this, and is hurting. I don't think she is trying to be accusatory because she follows her "if you would have been here" statement with an affirmation of His power. Nonetheless, she is heartbroken.

2. The Truth
Jesus tells her that her brother will rise again, and she acknowledges the truth that he will rise again in the last days. Jesus further says that He IS the resurrection and the life. Meaning, all life is dependent upon Him and given by Him. As the Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges points out: "In what follows, the first part shews how He is the Resurrection, the second how He is the Life. ‘He that believeth in Me, even if he shall have died (physically), shall live (eternally). And every one that liveth (physically) and believeth in Me, shall never die (eternally)’" (E-Sword Edition). He gives her the the gospel! 

3. The Conclusion
Within and without of churches there is much debate and confusion about how to handle pain and suffering. The first step is grounding your mind on truth. When I had my freak hammock accident (http://youtu.be/az4sBSNI3e4), once I realized the severity of the situation, I was feeling a lot of things. However, I did not panic because I had recently gone through first aid training. I knew I needed to stay calm. I knew that controlling blood flow was important. I knew I could pass out if I wasn't able to get Melissa's attention quickly. And, I knew I needed to get to the ER. Regardless of what emotions may have been surfacing, my mind made sense of my circumstances and informed my emotions. 

Christians and non-Christians alike will suffer. Yet, if we know the truth, our suffering isn't purposeless. Jesus is the resurrection and the life. All life is through Him and to Him. He's got this. He'll always have this.

Colossians 1:16  For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him.

Ponder, pray, and propagate your perceptions.

Upchurch

No comments:

Post a Comment