Enter your e-mail address below to get Musing Upchurch sent directly to your in-box!

Past Ponderings

Sunday, September 21, 2014

PONDERING... Giving

Disclaimer: The points have been added, but this is a summary of the last part of the Gospel Project lesson on Christian Care for the World and Others by Marty Duren. I am very convicted by this.

2 Corinthians 8:1-4  We want you to know, brothers, about the grace of God that has been given among the churches of Macedonia,  2  for in a severe test of affliction, their abundance of joy and their extreme poverty have overflowed in a wealth of generosity on their part.  3  For they gave according to their means, as I can testify, and beyond their means, of their own accord,  4  begging us earnestly for the favor of taking part in the relief of the saints—

- Use What God's Given For God's Purpose
I mow my eighty-nine year old grandmothers yard for her. Now lets imagine for a moment that my family and I had to move out of state, and I could no longer mow her yard. And lets say that I decided to take my mower over to her neighbors house and gave it to him on the condition that he mows my grandmothers yard for me. The mower is free. I am giving the mower as a gift for the purpose of him taking care of my grandmothers yard for her....In this case, the mower would become his, given by me, but it would carry an expectation from me that he would take care of my grandmothers yard. That was the heart behind my benevolent gift to himI wanted to see my mower used to continue to bless my grandmother. This is how God views all that He gives us. One of the most important reasons he blesses us is that He desires for us to use our blessings and possessions to care for others. God blesses us so that we might bless others. This is the heart of Godto care for His people. (Gospel Project)

-Don't Just Give Out of Your Excess.. If I Was Rich, Then...
The Macedonians were very poor.
Americans, compared with the rest of the world, are very rich.
We are called to care regardless of financial position. It is all God's anyway.

-Share...Spiritually and Physically
Loving Christ and sharing His Gospel go hand and hand with caring for mankind.

Voices from THE Church
It is grace that justifies, grace that glorifies, and grace that sanctifies. The attitudinal journey from owner to manager is part of the sanctification process and is smothered in the undeserved goodness of God. The further step of giving as Jesus and Paul commend is also empowered by God’s grace. Missional giving is not birthed from my own ‘can do’ attitude, but is a humble participation in God’s mission.9
–Marty Duren

Ponder, pray, and propagate your perceptions.

Upchurch

No comments:

Post a Comment