Enter your e-mail address below to get Musing Upchurch sent directly to your in-box!

Past Ponderings

Saturday, February 7, 2015

PONDERING... Another Dose of Stinky Feet

GIST: We are to do AS Jesus did, not Judas. This means living the fruit of the spirit.
(Note: I am indebted to Tim Keller for these thoughts. I was ready to move on to the next passage, but could not let this go.) 

John 13:12-20  12  When he had washed their feet and put on his outer garments and resumed his place, he said to them, "Do you understand what I have done to you?  13  You call me Teacher and Lord, and you are right, for so I am.  14  If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet.  15  For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you.  16  Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him.  17  If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them. 18 I am not speaking of all of you; I know whom I have chosen. But the Scripture will be fulfilled, 'He who ate my bread has lifted his heel against me.'  19  I am telling you this now, before it takes place, that when it does take place you may believe that I am he.  20  Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever receives the one I send receives me, and whoever receives me receives the one who sent me."


1. It's Not About the Actions
Judas probably had more outward signs of righteousness than we will ever experience. He had more meaningful theological education. He was sent out and used by Jesus. He would have been involved in proclaiming the repentance sins, casting out demons, and healing the sick. (Mark 6:7-13  "And he called the twelve and began to send them out two by two, and gave them authority over the unclean spirits... 12  So they went out and proclaimed that people should repent.  13  And they cast out many demons and anointed with oil many who were sick and healed them.") Yet, he was not a Christian.
Sometimes we try to do many "Chrisitan" things in hopes that they will prove our faith or improve our lives. But it's not about the things that you do, but what moves you to do them. Is there a real change?

2. It is About What Changes You
 Jesus, in this great act, demonstrates the fruit of the spirit. He loves the disciples, and us, completely though He knew their hearts. Then, He tells us: "15  For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you." (Emphasis added). 

The idea is not to do this exact act, but to mimic His heart. Which would be that of a true Christian. One way to look at this is by examining the Fruit of the Spirit (an all or nothing description of the Chrisitian life. Fruit, not Fruits). Or the Beatitudes, as they line up.

Keller points out that we need to pray for genuine, Jesus change. We can fake our way into "acting better", but not really be changed by the Spirit. Look at your weakest area and see if that is growing as you grow in Christ. 

Activity:
1. Make a list of all the fruit of spirit and the beatitudes. (See lists below.)
2. Try to match up the list. (i.e. Peacemakers and Peace, Merciful and Kindness and Love...etc.)
3. Identify which category represents your spiritual strength. (Circle it, and put an "s" beside it.)
4. Identify which category represents your spiritual weakness. (Circle it, and put an "w" beside it.)
5. Pray and meditate on how these fruit are or are not lived out in your life.
6. Pray that God would transform you.


Galatians 5:22-24  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,  23  gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.  24  And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

Matthew 5:3-12  "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.  4  "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.  5  "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.  6  "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.  7  "Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.  8  "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.  9  "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.  10  "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.  11  "Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account.  12  Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you."

No comments:

Post a Comment