Enter your e-mail address below to get Musing Upchurch sent directly to your in-box!

Past Ponderings

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

PONDERING... The Prediction of Peter's Denial.

GIST: There are humbling lessons to be learned in the prediction of Peter's denial.

John 13:36-38 36  Simon Peter said to him, "Lord, where are you going?" Jesus answered him, "Where I am going you cannot follow me now, but you will follow afterward."  37  Peter said to him, "Lord, why can I not follow you now? I will lay down my life for you."  38  Jesus answered, "Will you lay down your life for me? Truly, truly, I say to you, the rooster will not crow till you have denied me three times.

What does the "cannot follow" vs "will follow" me signify?
-Jesus is going to heaven. They can't follow now, but will follow later. This is affirmation of their salvation and His purpose.

What does Peter's denial teach us?
-Be careful when you think you're standing tall. We can all fall.
-Salvation is not won by our strength or worthiness.
-God is gracious. He loves, forgives, and uses sinners.

A Great Sermon on this Passage: 

No comments:

Post a Comment