Enter your e-mail address below to get Musing Upchurch sent directly to your in-box!

Past Ponderings

Monday, August 3, 2015

PONDERING... Joy in Christ (John 16:16-33)



Joy in Christ

GIST- True joy comes from experiencing the presence and glimpsing the purpose of God.

Scripture- John 16:16-33

16 "A little while, and you will see me no longer; and again a little while, and you will see me."
- This passage opens with a hard to understand statement. We shouldn't be discouraged by this, however, because clearly the disciples had a hard time with it too (see the next few verses). From my study of these verses, I think there are two levels to what He is saying: Physical and Spiritual. I am indebted to A.W. Pink for this conclusion, but might be inclined to just go with the physical explanation had Jesus Himself not referred to this mode of conversing as "figures of speech" (vs 25). 
- Physically, Jesus was about to be taken away and crucified (in a little while they would see Him no more). Then, after three days, He would rise again and be with them for 40ish days and then ascend into Heaven (in a little while they we see Him again), which will climax with the out pouring of the Holy Spirit (they will see Him permanently).
- Spiritually, they are still somewhat lacking in their understanding of who Jesus is and what kind of kingdom He is establishing. When He is taken away and crucified, they will lose heart (in a little while they will see Him no longer). Their faith wavers. But, when He returns and when the Spirit comes, they will know and understand and be transformed (in a little while they will see Him).
- Side Note: some manuscripts add "because I go to the Father" at the end of this statement which would clarify part of the disciples question below, and further emphasis that the seeing of Him was directly linked to His going to the Father and sending the Holy Spirit. 

17  So some of his disciples said to one another, "What is this that he says to us, 'A little while, and you will not see me, and again a little while, and you will see me'; and, 'because I am going to the Father'?" 18  So they were saying, "What does he mean by 'a little while'? We do not know what he is talking about."
- See, they were completely lost. They didn't want to even think about Him leaving them, and did not grasp the resurrection.

19  Jesus knew that they wanted to ask him, so he said to them, "Is this what you are asking yourselves, what I meant by saying, 'A little while and you will not see me, and again a little while and you will see me'?
- He knows. Notice that it doesn't just say that He overhears.

20  Truly, truly, I say to you, you will weep and lament, but the world will rejoice. You will be sorrowful, but your sorrow will turn into joy. 21  When a woman is giving birth, she has sorrow because her hour has come, but when she has delivered the baby, she no longer remembers the anguish, for joy that a human being has been born into the world. 22  So also you have sorrow now, but I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy from you.
- Here we get His explanation. He doesn't answer directly, but goes to the heart of the issue, as always. When He is crucified, the disciples will weep while the world (i.e. Those who do not believe in Jesus) will rejoice. Remember, He just explained the hatred of the world to them (see Chapter 15). However, their sorrow will be turned to joy...not rejoicing. They will experience true, lasting (vs 22) joy.  When? When the reason for all the suffering is realized. That's what the birth analogy is showing us. Why does a woman suffer during labor? Because she is giving birth to a child. The point is the child. The blessing of the child overshadows the temporary pain, no matter how great. Even more so, when He resurrects, ascends, and sends the Holy Spirit this is the point of the pain...our salvation. His joy complete in us.

23  In that day you will ask nothing of me. Truly, truly, I say to you, whatever you ask of the Father in my name, he will give it to you.
- It took me a few readings to get this one. "That day" here is directly connected to what He just said, the day when they would see His glory. When He rises, they won't ask what He means by "a little while and you will see me". They'll get it. 
- Yet, the second half of this verse picks up on a new train of thought. Part of the joy we have in Christ is knowing that we can ask anything in His name and the Father hears and responds. It's almost as if He anticipates the confusion that could result. The disciples, like us, could hear Jesus say they won't ask anything and respond: 'Wait, I'm not suppose to ask anything?' He makes it very clear that He is not saying... 'Now you will never have need to ask anything.' On the contrary, while this answer will be clear, the Christian life is meant to be one of continual prayer.

24  Until now you have asked nothing in my name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full.
- Because they have spoke to Him directly in human form only. They did not pray to God as they were to experience after the resurrection. 
- Notice, also, how prayer is linked to our joy being full. True joy comes from experiencing God's presence and purpose. This is realized through prayer and studying God's Word. We need to remember this. Not communing with God is robbing ourselves of the joy He intends. 

25  "I have said these things to you in figures of speech. The hour is coming when I will no longer speak to you in figures of speech but will tell you plainly about the Father.
- Referring to His metaphors and illustrations. Most recently that of pregnancy and "a little while".

26  In that day you will ask in my name, and I do not say to you that I will ask the Father on your behalf; 27  for the Father himself loves you, because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God.
- How great is this truth, and how contrary to the cold theology that assumes we must have an intercessor beyond Jesus Christ who is God. We do not pray through anyone, but in Jesus' name directly to God...who loves us! We really need to let that sink in. I've heard Tim Keller use this example many times, and it is right on. Who can disturb a king in the middle of the night to ask for a drink of water? Not a subject. Not even, most often, a queen. But a child of the King can. I might be grumpy in the middle of the night, but if one of my children calls for me... I come. God, who never sleeps and is beyond "grumpiness", hears our prayers. Amen!

28  I came from the Father and have come into the world, and now I am leaving the world and going to the Father."
- And here is His plain speech. This is what He's been talking about. He is God, and is returning to the state from which He came.

29  His disciples said, "Ah, now you are speaking plainly and not using figurative speech! 30  Now we know that you know all things and do not need anyone to question you; this is why we believe that you came from God."
- They clearly appreciate, like us, His direct speech.

31  Jesus answered them, "Do you now believe? 32  Behold, the hour is coming, indeed it has come, when you will be scattered, each to his own home, and will leave me alone. Yet I am not alone, for the Father is with me.
-Nonetheless, Jesus is not taken in by their words. It is one thing to say we believe and another to live it. He knows that they will soon abandon Him. Though, He will not be alone for He, in the Trinity, is never alone.

33  I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world."
- But here's the key. This is one of my favorite verses in the Bible and the first other than John 3:16 that I can recaall memorizing. Why is He telling His disciples all these things? So that IN HIM they may have peace. Life will be hard, but IN Jesus is peace. Notice the preposition. Peace is not merely something we get from Jesus like a nice packaged gift that once was His and now is ours. Jesus is our peace. 

Concluding Thoughts:
The disciples would be shaken by the circumstances surrounding Jesus' death, but when they experienced His presence (both physically and in the Holy Spirit), and saw His purpose (our salvation), they had lasting joy. The same is true for us today. Are you burdened? Have you been looking to Jesus? Are you in His Word? This isn't a preacherly admonition. I struggle with it just like you. But if you want to experience lasting joy, you need Jesus. AND... if you know where this joy and peace are found, but your don't go, yet still complain about the burdens of this life... Well, I'll let you finish that thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment