Enter your e-mail address below to get Musing Upchurch sent directly to your in-box!

Past Ponderings

Saturday, August 6, 2016

PONDERING... (Family) Sources of Anxiety and The Meaning of Life

Disclaimer: This is the last post in our discussion of topics that distract us from what God intends for our lives. This list was never meant to be all-inclusive, but only an overview. This final post reserves the right to be misunderstood. The writer encourages questions, comments, concerns, and pleas for mercy.

1. The Problem?: Family
Okay, so maybe calling family "a problem" goes a bit against the grain. In fact, as someone who considers family to be a God-ordained institution that could really be a "solution" to many of the problems we see facing the world today, it's hard for me to swallow my own words. Yet, for the sake of blog continuity, I used the same headings as in the previous posts.

Nonetheless, there is something to be said for placing even good things above Christ. Family is important to me. I love my parents and my brothers. I have the best wife and the most amazing children in the world! (My apologies to everyone who missed out :D.) I have incredible in-laws and a strong extended family. My family is great! BUT, my family is not God.

When you love your family, you worry about them. In fact, I don't think I was ever really nervous before I had kids. After seeing them struggle with sickness and wiping many tears, I am a lot more on edge about things. While there is nothing inherently wrong with this--in fact, family should be a central focus--when family becomes the central focus, we have once again misplaced our devotion. 

2. The Bible
The following verse is rough. It is hard to understand, and frequently misinterpreted. However, it is God's Word and speaks a powerful truth.

"26 "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple. 27 Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple. ... 33 So therefore, any one of you who does not renounce all that he has cannot be my disciple." - Luke 14:26-27, 33 ESV

WHAT! Hate my family?! I thought I was suppose to honor my father and mother? Where did this come from? This must be a mistake. This can't be in the Bible. 

That is the usual reaction to these verses. They are jarring--and meant to be so. Jesus here is addressing a crowd. These statements were made in the context of letting them "know what they are getting themselves into", as well as admonishing them about the kingdom of God. It follows a parable about a great feast. Many were invited, but did not come because of earthly excuses--they had just made a financial investment, or had family issues to contend with. Therefore, the master of the banquet sent his servant to gather in the blind, the poor, the lame, and any who would come. Then he follows up with the aforementioned verses. 

Scholars agree, the idea here is one of contrast. Your love for God should be such that by comparison your love for even that which you cherish most in this world (i.e. family) should appear as hatred. This becomes even more clear when compared with Matthew's recording of a similar statement (see below).

"37 Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38 And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me." - Matthew 10:37-38 ESV

Family is a gift from God, but should never become a hindrance to His service. Our love for Him should supersede all else.

Ponder, pray, and propagate your perceptions.

Upchurch

(This was written a few years ago, but somehow I never clicked "publish"... :D)

No comments:

Post a Comment