Enter your e-mail address below to get Musing Upchurch sent directly to your in-box!

Past Ponderings

Sunday, February 26, 2017

PONDERING...Are You Repulsive?: A Lesson from Laodicea (Rev 3:14-22)

Are You Repulsive?: A Lesson from Laodicea
GIST: Our assurance is in Christ alone. 
SCRIPTURE: Revelation 3:14-22

14 “And to the angel of the church in Laodicea write: ‘The words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of God's creation.
15 “‘I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! 16 So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. 17 For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked. 18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, so that you may be rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself and the shame of your nakedness may not be seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, so that you may see. 19 Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent. 20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. 21 The one who conquers, I will grant him to sit with me on my throne, as I also conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne. 22 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.’”

As we began these letters to the seven churches before Christmas and were then frequently sidetracked by special events, illnesses, or wintry weather; this final lesson probably seems a long time coming (my apologies). My prayer is that these messages really stick. These are Jesus' words to the Church. May I hear them.


BACKGROUND
Before diving into this very heavy letter, let's get a little historical background on Laodicea (for the last time). Really there is just one key point to understand about this city: it was very wealthy. There seems to have been three major sources of its wealth: black sheep's wool (used to make fine garments), medicine (specially a special cream for healing eye irritations), and banking (where they even minted their own coins). In fact, such was its prosperity that when it was destroyed by an earthquake, like Philadelphia, they refused Rome's offer to send financial assistance, unlike Philadelphia, and instead rebuilt the city by the strength of their own wealth. We'll hit more as we go, but that's "the important" to keep in mind for now.

MESSAGE
1. Reproof
14 “And to the angel of the church in Laodicea write: ‘The words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of God's creation.

As usual, Jesus introduces Himself in a manner which foreshadows the message of the letter. Let's look at the descriptions here.

The Amen: We use the word "Amen" frequently, but many of us don't stop to think about what it means. The word literally means "the truth" or "it is true". So the first designation here feeds into the second. Jesus is the Truth. As such, He is also the only fully-->

Faithful and True Witness: He is the full and honest witness to God and, therefore, to the Truth. He is unhindered and unwavering. And He holds this position beyond debate because He is---

The Beginning of God's Creation: This, of course, does not mean He was the first of God's creations since He is Himself the creator (Col 1:16) and was never created (John 1:1-5), but word translated beginning here means "first of" or "head over". He is the head over all creation. He is the Savior of the World, and the King of Kings.

Therefore, He opens this letter with a very clear statement about the truth of who He is, which comes in direct contrast with the lie they are living.

15 “‘I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! 16 So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. 

These words are very strong. And we could get lost in trying interpret the intricacies behind what it means to be hot or cold (which admittedly I have spent a lot of time wrestling with over the past few weeks), and we could talk about how Laodicea was located between two cities: one known for its famous hot springs, and the other known for its refreshing cool springs, but the water in Laodicea was so disgusting because of how it was transported that it was almost undrinkable. We could talk about that, but I think we'd be in danger of missing the forest for the trees here. Laodicea was lukewarm. That's the point. They were not what they should be. They weren't useful at all. In fact, Jesus finds them repulsive and is ready to vomit them from His mouth. This is a serious condemnation. Why? What is it about this church, a term loosely applied here because clearly this is not a truly saved/Christian church but only a nominal one, that has brought them to this point?-->

2. Reason
7 For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked. 

It seems the attitude of the town had been adopted by the church, as well. They are self-deceived. They think they have everything they need, but are wretch, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked--They're lost. The saddest phrase in this line to me is the "not realizing" part. Like the Pharisees who confronted Jesus, they are so self-assured they cannot even see the blatancy of their own sin. It should be clear to them, but it's not. They do not want to see the truth; so they don't. They think everything is fine, grand even. They're wrong.

It reminds me of a Nathaniel Hawthorne story I just had my students read in Intro to Lit called The Snow Image. It's about these two children who build a little girl out of snow, and she comes to life. They're amazed by this and play with the girl all afternoon, but when their father comes home, he demands that the children come inside out of the cold. Thinking the snow girl is a neighborhood child dressed in a thin white gown, he insists that she come inside and sit by the fire while her parents are sent for. The children beg for the snow child to be left outside so she won't melt, but the father refuses to accept that she's made of snow even when he's holding her handing and walking her to the door. He forces her inside by the fire, then goes back outside to find the snow girl's parents. Immediately, he is called back inside by the frantic tears of his children. When he comes in, he sees a puddle where the girl was, takes off his jacket and reprimands the children for bringing in so much snow on their boots, and sends his wife to get a towel to clean up the mess. He's sure he's right, and blind to all else.

It's a sad story, but it's just a story. Snow girls do not come to life. But Jesus is real. He is the Truth. The Laodiceans were blind to that, BUT thought they had everything worked out just fine.

3. Rescue
18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, so that you may be rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself and the shame of your nakedness may not be seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, so that you may see. 

The best part about this letter is that it does not end in verse 17. They are "wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked", but Jesus doesn't want to leave them there. Verse 18 flips everything on its head. You think your rich with your banking and coins? Buy gold from Me refined in fire. The idea here echoes the need to grow spiritually through tribulation and trials. It's through fire that we are made pure. Then, He says, you will have the wealth that matters. You have fancy black cloths? The shame of your nakedness needs covered by my pure white garments. You have created a cream for irritated eyes? Come to me, so you can actually see. And then we see this wonderful verse-->

19 Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent.

He doesn't love them because they are stumbling Christians. He loves them because 'God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life.' He tells them: 'I love you, so repent.'

He couldn't tell them one without telling them the other. It is because He loves us that He desire us to repent--not to remain strutting to Hell.

20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. 

And here we have one of the most frequently used evangelistic verses. It is also a very debated verse. But let's take it in context, because the message is wonderful. He is talking to the church here. The church of which He is not a part. He is outside of the door. So, yes, this is a message directed specifically to the whole group. Yet, He says "If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me." Well, that last part is clearly a picture of salvation. It is a promise of communion with God. So, what does the opening of the door mean? Well, how are you saved? And...what did he literally just tell them to do. ("...so be zealous and repent.") Opening the door is symbolic of repentance. Without it, the door will forever remain closed. We must turn to Him and give Him our lives.

21 The one who conquers, I will grant him to sit with me on my throne, as I also conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne. 22 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.’”

Jesus opened the letter by telling this group of people they were repulsive. He ends it by telling them that if they repent, they can sit with Him in Heaven. From being spit from His mouth to being drawn by His side. Amen.

QUICK APPLICATION

Are you repulsive? Self-assured? Blind to the truth of God, but still claiming to be in it?
1. Praise God for His patience.
2. Repent and find your assurance in Him alone.



Ponder. Pray. Promulgate.

No comments:

Post a Comment