Enter your e-mail address below to get Musing Upchurch sent directly to your in-box!

Past Ponderings

Monday, September 4, 2017

PONDERING... Be Ready for Jesus! (Revelation 22:6-21)

THE FINAL LESSON IN REVELATION: BE READY FOR JESUS
GIST: Jesus is coming! Be ready!
SCRIPTURE: Revelation 22:6-21
This is our last lesson in Revelation. It’s always a little bitter-sweet to come to the end of a book of the Bible. It’s exciting to have finished it, but sad to see it end. This is especially true today, as it marks what will very likely be the last book I take the youth group through now that I have stepped into the role of pastor for the whole congregation. It has been a joy I will never forget to teach these awesome kids all the writings of John. I am truly blessed, and so very glad this is not the end of our time together...just the beginning of a slightly different phase.
Let’s walk through the passage, and then take some final takeaways. (Again, I apologize for the brevity of these notes!)

6 And he said to me, “These words are trustworthy and true. And the Lord, the God of the spirits of the prophets, has sent his angel to show his servants what must soon take place.”
7 “And behold, I am coming soon. Blessed is the one who keeps the words of the prophecy of this book.”
Over the prophets. He is the source of all prophecy. You can trust Him!
Soon? I know this can be something we say, but in the back of our minds...don’t really believe. If John recorded this nearly 2,000 years ago, how soon can it be? Just soon enough. Remember, Jesus will return when all who will be saved are saved. That could be today. That could be 1000 years from now. Nonetheless, since it could be as I write this sentence, we should live each moment in anticipation! (And if you’re anything like me, that means you need to pray that God gives you that heart and forgive your doubt.)

8 I, John, am the one who heard and saw these things. And when I heard and saw them, I fell down to worship at the feet of the angel who showed them to me, 9 but he said to me, “You must not do that! I am a fellow servant with you and your brothers the prophets, and with those who keep the words of this book. Worship God.”
Again? You would have thought he have learned the first time (chp 19)... But again, we see John being honest here. He was overwhelmed with good, and almost let it supplant God. But the angel is very clear about what’s going on.
Key. And I feel this is the key to the whole book: WORSHIP GOD!

10 And he said to me, “Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this book, for the time is near. 11 Let the evildoer still do evil, and the filthy still be filthy, and the righteous still do right, and the holy still be holy.”
References to Daniel 12:9-10. This is going to happen. It’s not an exhortation for it to happen. There will come a time when repentance is no longer an option. Don’t wait. Don’t “sin while you have the chance” thinking you can always “get right with God” later. It doesn’t that work that way. Turning to Jesus is not like filling out your AARP card. You are not guaranteed today. Why, oh why, would you waste it?

12 “Behold, I am coming soon, bringing my recompense with me, to repay each one for what he has done. 13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.”
14 Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life and that they may enter the city by the gates. 15 Outside are the dogs and sorcerers and the sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.
Echoes of previous promises. We have seen this imagery all throughout. It is fitting that we’re reminded of it here in the end. Jesus is coming to save and to judge. Those who are saved, have been washed and will enter into Heaven. Those who are not, will suffer in Hell.

16 “I, Jesus, have sent my angel to testify to you about these things for the churches. I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star.”
Did this on purpose. He sent the angel to testify for the churches.
Root and Descendant.  This speaks to Jesus’ incarnation. He is the fulfillment of the prophecies that the Messiah would come from the line of David…but He is Himself also the reason that line even exists. He is the light for this dark world!

17 The Spirit and the Bride say, “Come.” And let the one who hears say, “Come.” And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who desires take the water of life without price.
Come to Jesus.
Water WITHOUT Price. He paid the price.

18 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book, 19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.
Do not be flippant with God’s Word.
Know it. Keep it.

20 He who testifies to these things says, “Surely I am coming soon.” Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!
21 The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all. Amen.
He IS Coming!

TAKEAWAYS
As I’ll note in the resources section, I am indebted to Kevin DeYoung for planting these takeaways in my heart this week. I do not take credit for any of them, but want to share them because they hit home for me.
We’ve come to the end of the book, and the same truth is still being proclaimed: Jesus is coming--be ready. Here’s a few closing thoughts.
  1. Flee sin. Don’t play with fire. Run from it. Time is short. God has a plan for your life. He is your purpose. Oh, please don’t put Him off!
  2. Keep coming to Jesus. Daily. There will never be a moment when you do not need Him. There will never be a second when His arms are not open to receive His children. Isn’t this the message the broken world needs to hear? Tell them. I know this sounds so “doomsdayish” to our modern ears, but really, we must tell them before it’s too late!
  3. Take His Word Seriously. Get into it. Let it get into you!
  4. Want Him. Ask yourself this question: If Jesus were to come back right now, would you rejoice or regret not being able to (fill in the blank)? Lord, may we long for You!

Come, Lord Jesus.

Amen.




Great Resources:
I listened to Kevin DeYoung’s sermon series all throughout this journey. These last two were two of the best and most helpful. I am very indebted to his exposition here. Sermon 1, Sermon 2

No comments:

Post a Comment