Enter your e-mail address below to get Musing Upchurch sent directly to your in-box!

Past Ponderings

Sunday, August 19, 2018

PONDERING... Are You On The Path Of Life? (Psalm 16)

Are You On the Path of Life? (AM Sermon Notes)
GIST: There is complete fulfillment in Jesus alone.
SCRIPTURE: Psalm 16
Today we’re looking at the 16th Psalm. It’s a message I needed reminded of this week. It’s back to school week for many of us, which is always a crazy time for families, and might doubly be so for families where one or more of the parents are also teachers. Lots of things were starting up this week, which meant lots of things needed to be prepared... because lots of things needed to be done. I’m not going to lie, there were moments when I felt pretty overwhelmed. But while I was sharing that with Melissa Saturday morning, I realized, yet again, God was using His Word to speak directly to my heart. Though life might sometimes be crazy, I am more blessed than I could ever deserve. This is a psalm of satisfaction--and a satisfaction that comes from God alone.
"1 Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge. 2 I say to the LORD, "You are my Lord; I have no good apart from you." 3 As for the saints in the land, they are the excellent ones, in whom is all my delight. 4 The sorrows of those who run after another god shall multiply; their drink offerings of blood I will not pour out or take their names on my lips. 5 The LORD is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot. 6 The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance. 7 I bless the LORD who gives me counsel; in the night also my heart instructs me. 8 I have set the LORD always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken. 9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure. 10 For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption. 11 You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore."
I want to take this psalm a little backwards this morning. Like I said, this could be called a “psalm of satisfaction”. So, we’re going to start with the last verse that tells us the ultimate reason for that satisfaction, then go back and trace what that fulfillment looks like through the psalm. Therefore, the gist for today is pretty straightforward: There is complete fulfillment in Jesus alone.

I. JESUS HAS REVEALED THE PATH OF LIFE
So, let’s start by looking at the first part of verse 11, “11 You make known to me the path of life…” Realistically, the truth presented here is so key that it wouldn’t be a bad idea to spend an entire Sunday just walking through each one. For today, let’s take more of an aerial view. Even though this is just a short little statement, it’s pointing to at least three major truths.
1) There Is A Path Of Life. There is a, single direction our lives can take which leads to real life, complete fulfillment. Remember what Jesus said in the sermon on the mount? “"13 "Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. 14 For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few." (Matthew 7:13-14) There aren’t many paths; there is one, and the direction is clear because→
2) It Has Been Made Known. This way has been revealed. It’s not the secret path. Jesus came clearly proclaiming this way. It’s following after Him. It’s giving Him control. It’s taking up our crosses daily and going wholeheartedly after His steps. It’s narrow because it’s hard, not because it’s hidden.
3) And The Revelation Is Personal. Look at what this verse says again. “You make known to me the path of life” (emphasis added). It’s personal. Jesus came and Jesus died for individuals, not just as an act that happened to benefit everyone who wants to take part in its side effects. You were uniquely made, and you are personally loved!
It is in this context that we need to see the rest of the verses. There is a path which has been made known and can be experienced by you personally… and it changes everything!

II. THOSE WHO WALK IN IT LIVE FULFILLED
So, let’s walk through the rest of the verses. Like with the first point, each of these are huge and wonderful. Nonetheless, let’s just look at the big pictures here and let the implications sink in a bit this morning. Those who walk in the path of life, those who follow Jesus are→
Preserved. “1 Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge.” Because our refuge is in the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, we are kept. We talked about this just recently, but nothing and no one can ever take us from His hand. This reminds me of my time in Belarus. The country itself is Russian Orthodox in name. We don’t have time to get into all of that has done to the country as a whole. Still yet, having an established church that had at least ties to Biblical Christianity, resulted in Christian imagery being fairly familiar, much like in our country. As a result, if you went into any store that sold jewelry of any kind, you would find rings like this that said “Lord, save and keep me.” I own a few. The prayer is a good one. However, so many wear them as a talisman, hoping it will lead to them being saved and kept. That’s not unlike our country either. So many want stability and would even claim to want to be saved, but in their hearts they have absolutely no confidence that this could ever be known for sure. But it can ne. If Jesus is our hope and security, we are kept.
Blessed. 2 I say to the LORD, "You are my Lord; I have no good apart from you."” This probably sounds like a point we recently addressed as well. Though there are many blessings in this world, none of them compare to Jesus, who is the only one truly good. AND nothing good, nothing enjoyable, could ever exist apart from Him. He, being good, is the source of all good. If God is not in it, it is not good. Period. Those who walk with Him, therefore, experience true blessing and have the right perspective to appreciate the blessings they experience!
Delighted. “3 As for the saints in the land, they are the excellent ones, in whom is all my delight. 4 The sorrows of those who run after another god shall multiply; their drink offerings of blood I will not pour out or take their names on my lips.” Here we see a contrasting parallel laid out. Those who worship God are contrasted with those who worship false gods.
Those who worship the One, True God delight together. They rejoice together because they are all following the path of life...together. This should be the truth of every fellowship of believers, every church, everywhere. Where people gather together who all get what life is really about and see the blessing of belonging to the Lord, there should be joy! Why? Look at the second part of verse 11, the end of this psalm actually, “11b in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore."” Full joy. Eternal pleasures. That’s what comes from being the Lord’s. Here on earth, you will live life to the fullest and after death that joy increases as we live face to face with the source of joy Himself!
The experience of those who chase after false gods is the completely opposite. The end result of their trouble is more trouble, multiplying sorrows, Hell. Those who walk in the path of life won’t follow after false gods; they won’t serve them or even utter their names. We don’t live in a society that openly worships false deities like the ancient civilizations David was addressing. However, there are plenty of false gods being worship by different names today: greed, lust, power. The list could go on. If you’re serving the Lord with all your heart, you don’t waste your time worshiping sin!
Provided For. “5 The LORD is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot. 6 The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.” This verse is referencing the allotting of land in the Old Testament, and might remind some of you of passages about the tribe of Levi. When the twelve tribes were dividing up the promised land, what did the Levites get? God. He was their inheritance. They were to serve in the temple and live off of His provision. That kind of provision is extended to all those who serve God wholeheartedly: His people. If we are walking on the path of life, if we are saved, if we belong to Jesus, our inheritance is Him--and it’s beautiful!
Because we belong to Him, we’re provided for. Does that mean we will never struggle financially or experience persecution? No. But we will never be forgotten. He will never leave us, and His plan for us will always be good. Look at what David says in verses 9-10, “9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure. 10 For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption.” We are cared for here on earth, but that provision does not end when our physical bodies fail us! He will not be abandoned in death (which is what is being referenced in the word Sheol); we will not experience the continual corruption of sin in Hell, but will instead experience the ultimate provision of life everlasting with Him!
These verses are quoted by both Peter (Acts 2:23-28) and Paul (Acts 13:35) in Acts in reference to our ultimate source of hope. Look at what Peter said in Acts 2, "23 this Jesus, delivered up according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God, you crucified and killed by the hands of lawless men. 24 God raised him up, loosing the pangs of death, because it was not possible for him to be held by it."25 For David says concerning him, "'I saw the Lord always before me, for he is at my right hand that I may not be shaken; 26 therefore my heart was glad, and my tongue rejoiced; my flesh also will dwell in hope. 27 For you will not abandon my soul to Hades, or let your Holy One see corruption. 28 You have made known to me the paths of life; you will make me full of gladness with your presence.'" (Acts 2:23-28). Jesus is the ultimate source of hope. It is because of His death and resurrection that we will can face even death with confidence in His provision!
Comforted. 7 I bless the LORD who gives me counsel; in the night also my heart instructs me.” The path of life does not mean exemption from heartache. Pain and sorrow will come. Life will still be hard. We will still experience loss and disappointment. BUT, even in those times of despair, we are comforted by the one who never loses control. Who suffered more than we ever could, and speaks to our hearts even in the night, our darkest hours. What kinds of encouragements does He bring. So many, but not least being that our hope in Him should be→
Unshaken. 8 I have set the LORD always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.” He is before us, meaning He is the one in charge. He is the one leading the way. He is at my right hand, meaning He is my source of strength. When that is the case, and only when that is the case, we can live unshaken lives.

TAKEAWAYS
1. There is complete fulfillment in Jesus alone.  There is a path, just one, which has been made known and can be experienced by you personally… and it changes everything! That path is to follow Jesus.
2. Don’t forget that. That was the point God reminded me of yesterday. So much in life can be overwhelming, but if we’re His, we have everything we need. We can live preserved, blessed, delighted, provided for, comforted, and unshaken. What are you letting make you forget that?


No comments:

Post a Comment