Enter your e-mail address below to get Musing Upchurch sent directly to your in-box!

Past Ponderings

Sunday, January 12, 2020

PONDERING... Are You Hot Under The Collar? (Acts 24)

VIDEO
Are You Hot Under The Collar? (PM Lesson Outline)
Note: This is only an outline. ☺️
GIST: Let the truth you both need set both of you free.
SCRIPTURE: Acts 24
Tonight, we’re going to look at the portion of Acts 24 that we did not address this morning: Paul’s response. What I want to draw special attention to is not just what he says, but the context in which he says it. He’s been having quite the week. Life hasn’t been smooth. Here, he’s being falsely accused. His life has been threatened. His name has been slandered, and this is his response→ 
“10 And when the governor had nodded to him to speak, Paul replied: "Knowing that for many years you have been a judge over this nation, I cheerfully make my defense.” This isn’t the same flattery we saw earlier. He isn’t buttering him up. He’s stating a fact. He’s basically saying, ‘You’re not new to this gig, so you know how things work and→ 
 “11 You can verify that it is not more than twelve days since I went up to worship in Jerusalem, 12 and they did not find me disputing with anyone or stirring up a crowd, either in the temple or in the synagogues or in the city. 13 Neither can they prove to you what they now bring up against me.He’s just straight forward. This cannot be proven because it did not happen. Then, he tells him what did happen.
“14 But this I confess to you, that according to the Way, which they call a sect, I worship the God of our fathers, believing everything laid down by the Law and written in the Prophets, 15 having a hope in God, which these men themselves accept, that there will be a resurrection of both the just and the unjust.” He’s affirming his convictions that Christianity is the fulfillment of the Old Testament, not a seditious sect. He also affirms that he believes in the resurrection from the dead, that there is more beyond this life, which is why he lives to prepare for it! (which is what he says next…) →  
“16 So I always take pains to have a clear conscience toward both God and man. 17 Now after several years I came to bring alms to my nation and to present offerings.” That has to kind of sting. He came here...to help, and has found himself the victim of injustice. 
“18 While I was doing this, they found me purified in the temple, without any crowd or tumult. But some Jews from Asia-- 19 they ought to be here before you and to make an accusation, should they have anything against me. 20 Or else let these men themselves say what wrongdoing they found when I stood before the council, 21 other than this one thing that I cried out while standing among them: 'It is with respect to the resurrection of the dead that I am on trial before you this day.'” How does he respond to their accusations? With truth. Notice this. He doesn’t throw a fit. He doesn’t get overly defensive. He just states the truth and stays focused on what Jesus is doing more than anything else. Is that how you react when people are pushing all your buttons? 
I know this is a strange layout, but here’s our quick gist for this evening: Let the truth you both need set both of you free.
Jesus said in John 8, “31 ...If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, 32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” Tonight, I just want to make two quick observations about this freedom based on how we saw this being worked out in Paul’s life. First→ 


I. YOU NEED THE TRUTH TO SET YOU FREE!
Now primarily, you need set free from your sins. You need salvation. 
However, you also need freed from the deceits of your own heart. Here’s the key. Emotions are not a bad thing. God created us with them for a reason. We are meant to feel. However, we need to inform our emotions with the truth. Paul could have jumped off the handle and none of us would have been able to blame him. Instead, he realized that what was happening to him was only part of the bigger picture. He informed his emotions with the truth of God and reacted accordingly. I need this reminder!
And really, that’s tied to the second observation I want to make this evening. We need to remember→ 


II. THEY NEED THE SAME TRUTH
Every person we encounter every day needs Jesus. Therefore→ 
The gospel should be the message on our lips. Don’t worry about defending yourself or standing up for what you think you deserve. Just stay faithful to the truth


TAKEAWAYS
1. You need the truth.
2. They need the truth.
3. So, stick with...the Truth. 


4. He loves you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment