Enter your e-mail address below to get Musing Upchurch sent directly to your in-box!

Past Ponderings

Wednesday, December 30, 2020

What Is Our Relationship To The Law? (Galatians 2:17-21)

VIDEO 

What Is Our Relationship To The Law? (Galatians 2:17-21)

GIST: The law reveals our need; Jesus fulfills it.

This morning, we’re wrapping up Galatians 2 and diving headlong into the “teaching” section of this letter. Last week, we worked through the narrative section Paul began back in chapter 1. He was telling the Galatians what the Gospel had done for him personally to demonstrate the power it and it alone has to change lives and save souls. This section ended with Paul confronting the apostle Peter for living hypocritically while in Antioch. He preached grace for all who believed, but was influenced by the Judiazers to treat the Gentile believers like grace wasn’t enough to change them in his eyes. Here, Paul clearly explains that justification, being declared righteous before God, is by faith not works of the law. 

There is some question about whether or not the section we’re coming to this morning is still part of what Paul said to Peter or if he’s moved back to speaking to the Galatians here. To me, it seems safest to assume he is addressing the Galatians directly here while building on the heart of what he explained to Peter, as the letter continues from this point without returning to that narrative. Let’s just read 17-21 and then hit our gist.


“17 But if, in our endeavor to be justified in Christ, we too were found to be sinners, is Christ then a servant of sin? Certainly not! 18 For if I rebuild what I tore down, I prove myself to be a transgressor. 19 For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God. 20 I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. 21 I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose.”


Undoubtedly, Paul is continuing to explain the importance of justification by faith in Jesus. He takes time here to explain how that interacts with the Old Testament law. There are some really deep and wonderful verses in this section, so I am sure there will be more that could be said that we won’t get to in our time together this morning. However, for today, let’s take this as our gist: The law reveals our need; Jesus fulfills it. 

Ok, first→ 


I. The Law Reveals Our Need (17-19a)

Truthfully, there are several lines in this section that are difficult to understand, especially on a first read, so let’s break this down a bit. Let’s start with verse 17: “17 But if, in our endeavor to be justified in Christ, we too were found to be sinners, is Christ then a servant of sin? Certainly not!” Essentially, Paul is building the argument here that→ 

My Sin Doesn’t Nullify Grace; It Reveals My Heart. There is an implicit objection he’s arguing against here. Namely, if grace is a free gift and we’re not required to obey the law to receive it, then won’t that just open the door for us to sin freely? Paul points out that this would make Christ a “servant of sin”, as if His salvation really just provided people with an excuse to sin without guilt. However, our sin is not a failure on His part. His salvation does not free us to sin, as if He were somehow working for our destruction, but it frees us from sin. By nature, I am a sinner. The law can’t stop that from being true. Jesus’ rescue provides me with a new nature. Will I still stumble? Absolutely. Yet, my heart is no longer enslaved by sin. I’ve been set free. 

Paul then takes that truth and says, “18 For if I rebuild what I tore down, I prove myself to be a transgressor.” In context here, he’s saying that if he goes back to trying to follow the law to be saved from sin when he knows that won’t work, he reveals his sinful nature. In a broader application for us we could put it like this→ 

Trying To Save Myself Won’t Ever Work. Returning to any world-view that puts salvation back on my shoulders, is sin. It didn’t before, and it won’t now. So, why in the world should I live like it will? And guys, we do. We say we’re saved by His grace, but then act as if our righteousness was our own doing. We need to be able to see this as foolish. 

Now, this next line has given a lot of people fits. Look just at the first part of 19. “19 For through the law I died to the law…”  I’m not claiming superior understanding, but I am blessed to have been able to study materials from people far wiser than me. I think the key point to get here is→ 

Salvation Rescues Us From The Condemnation The Law Illuminates. He says through the law he died to the law. By coming to understand what the law was doing, pointing him to his need for salvation, he died to the law, meaning it no longer had power over him. The law revealed his need, but couldn’t meet it. The law has a purpose. It tells you you need saving. It reveals the sin of your heart, but it can’t rescue you from that. However, it does point to the one who can. Jesus, the Messiah, the Savior. → 


II. Jesus Fulfills Our Need (19b-21)

What Paul says next, we can’t miss. He didn’t just die to law for no purpose. Look at the rest of verse 19. He says, “...I died to the law, so that I might live to God.” 

Salvation Brings True Life. Dying to the law wasn’t an end, it was the beginning. See the gospel doesn’t point us to a freedom that says “just sin as you please” but rescues us from sin, so we can have freedom to walk in His purpose and truly live. Sin destroys us. Grace restores us. Seeing our sin for what it is and coming to Jesus believing He is who He says He is brings the dead to life! 

And this is possible because→ 

We Were Crucified With Christ. Which is exactly how verse 20 starts ☺️ (“20 I have been crucified with Christ.) This is so important to try and wrap our minds around, especially since this verse is so familiar in church circles. We need to realize He didn’t take our place figuratively! The Hell He endured was really the one we deserved. When we are rescued, His righteousness is accounted to us. Because He died and rose again defeating sin, we can live. But we aren’t living like we were before because→ “It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.” → 

Now, We Have A Completely New Life. The whole idea that Christ is in me is HUGE. We say that a lot, but I don’t think we really live like we believe it. Kids seem to take this more seriously. When they accept Jesus, they tell people He’s in their heart, and they mean it! We should too. When we’re rescued, we’re given life through Him. We’re not called new creations because He makes us a better version of ourselves. We are new creations because we’re united to Christ. Truthfully, I’m not even sure my mind can fully wrap itself around how significant and beautiful that is, but I can start to understand this: I now live by the faith I have in Jesus who loved me and gave Himself for me— He took my place; He bore my Hell; now I can live in Him!

Paul brings us to this point and then draws this conclusion. All that being said… “21 I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose.” → 

His Sacrifice Is Central, So To Ignore It Is To Nullify Grace. To go back to the law or to try and save yourself by any other means is to say Jesus’ sacrifice wasn’t enough. Jesus died on purpose. You were that purpose.

Let’s end with some food for thought in our→ 


TAKEAWAYS

  1. Are you trying to be justified by your merits or His? 

  2. Are you living like Christ is in you? Do you realize being new isn’t being a better version of your old self but a Christ-driven follower of Jesus?

  3. Is His sacrifice central to your life? Or do you talk about it at church but live like life is really about...fill in the blank?

No comments:

Post a Comment