Enter your e-mail address below to get Musing Upchurch sent directly to your in-box!

Past Ponderings

Friday, June 25, 2021

When Life is Hard...? (Psalm 39)

VIDEO 

When Life is Hard...? (Psalm 39) 

Father’s Day 2021

GIST: Guard your tongue, measure your days, and journey with Jesus. 

    Happy Father’s Day! Let me just start by thanking the Godly dads we have with us today and those who can no longer be with us. You make a difference. We love you and are impacted by the choices you make. Those of you who are living the dad life, regardless of the age of your children, let me just say: hang in there. I know it’s not always easy, but you’re not alone in the struggle, and the challenge of living for Jesus in front of kids and loving them like He loves you is 100% worth it.

    That being said, today, we’re coming to Psalm 39 together. It has been well documented at this point, that I tend not to divert from out book studies. That is the case today. However, as always, I do think this passage not only has something broadly to say to all of us, but touches on issues I know dads need to hear as well. 

    Psalm 39 is sometimes considered a sort of sequel to Psalm 38, which means we’re not completely moving away from our discussion of facing sorrow with faith. Again, we see David being completely honest with God. He’s overwhelmed, and he pours out his heart— frustrations and all. So dads, and everyone else, here’s the gist for this morning: When life is hard… guard your tongue, measure your days, and journey with Jesus. Let’s break that down as we walk through the passage.


I. Guard Your Tongue

Look at the opening verse. “1 To the choirmaster: to Jeduthun. A Psalm of David. I said, "I will guard my ways, that I may not sin with my tongue; I will guard my mouth with a muzzle, so long as the wicked are in my presence.” Oh, there is so much for us here. Let me just make these observations. First, this is a→ 

Good Resolution. He’s upset. As we saw in the previous psalm, and will see more here, he is also struggling with the weight of God’s discipline in his life. He’s overwhelmed, but decides not to complain, and specifically not to complain in front of unbelievers. Whether or not this was his intention in the moment we cannot know, but we do know that this resolution is one that will lead to a→ 

Good Witness. We actually talked about this with the kids on Wednesday night. We’re called to carry hope to the world, but how effective is that witness if our words are always tearing people down or complaining about the unjustness of life? Our words of hope won’t mean anything if they don’t see it in our lives. On Wednesday, I used this illustration from The Very Best Hands-On Kinda Dangerous Family Devotions. I had a string tied to a PVC pipe on one end and a gallon of water on the other. We then took turns holding the pipe above our heads and twisting it for ten seconds to see how high we could get the jug of water. For most, it was very challenging, and there was a lot of cheating that happened ☺️. However, there was always movement...until I added this wrinkle. I took baby shampoo and saturated their hands, then asked them to do the same thing. No one made any movement. Carrying the gospel is hard. It’s impossible when we cover over witness with sin. 

So this is a good resolution which will lead to a good witness, and, honestly, resolving to control our tongues is just→ 

Good For… All of Us. How much hurt would be spared if we just shut our mouths when we’re tempted to complain or lash out in anger or frustration if we were careful to use our mouths to build people, our children especially, up? Guard your tongue and→ 


II. Measure Your Days

Let’s take the next chunk. “2 I was mute and silent; I held my peace to no avail, and my distress grew worse. 3 My heart became hot within me. As I mused, the fire burned; then I spoke with my tongue: 4 "O LORD, make me know my end and what is the measure of my days; let me know how fleeting I am! 5 Behold, you have made my days a few handbreadths, and my lifetime is as nothing before you. Surely all mankind stands as a mere breath! Selah 6 Surely a man goes about as a shadow! Surely for nothing they are in turmoil; man heaps up wealth and does not know who will gather!” There is a lot going on here. First, we need to ask if this was a→ 

Good Resolution Taken To An Unhealthy Extreme? This is a verse that can be interpreted into English two ways. Neither changes the core message, but some translations will word it as him refusing to speak even for good instead of to no avail or no good. Both fit with the message here. However, if he resolved not even to speak good things, he would have been taking a good thing too far. Nonetheless, where the verse goes next does seem to support the “to no avail” translation as we see that no matter how hard he tried, he couldn’t really keep his mouth closed...but when he did break his silence notice that his emotions→ 

Bubbled Over… To God. Instead of bringing his complaints to the world, he came to God with his burdens. Man, we could learn so much from this. Yes, you should have solid Christian accountability in your lives. Spouses, close friends, and family can all be healthy outlets. However, often even our best intention can just lead to gripe sessions. David was overwhelmed, and He came first to God, and what he asked for really was preparing him to have the right perspective if he goes to anyone else. What we see him do first when his emotions are too much to keep in is→ 

Cry To Be Reminded Of The Brevity of Life! That’s what measuring our days is about. He’s hurting, but his life is fleeting. This isn’t just a morbid moment in David’s life. He’s asking for perspective. He wants to know this won’t last forever. When we’re hurting, we need to remember that too. For those of us who belong to Jesus, there is an eternity of wonder awaiting us. This is just temporary. Knowing that, though,→ 

Don’t Waste Your Limited Time. This is true for all of us, but let me just talk to dads for a second. Our moments with our kiddos won’t last forever. Make the most of them. I know you have to work. I know you have to take care of yourself and your family. But don’t let your kids become something you plan on “getting to later”. Love them passionately and wholeheartedly now. These moments won’t last forever. 

So watch your mouth, measure your days, and make sure you→ 


III. Journey With Jesus

Look at how David wraps up this psalm. “7 "And now, O Lord, for what do I wait? My hope is in you. 8 Deliver me from all my transgressions. Do not make me the scorn of the fool! 9 I am mute; I do not open my mouth, for it is you who have done it. 10 Remove your stroke from me; I am spent by the hostility of your hand. 11 When you discipline a man with rebukes for sin, you consume like a moth what is dear to him; surely all mankind is a mere breath! Selah 12 "Hear my prayer, O LORD, and give ear to my cry; hold not your peace at my tears! For I am a sojourner with you, a guest, like all my fathers. 13 Look away from me, that I may smile again, before I depart and am no more!"” Again, there is a lot here, but I just have a few more observations to make. Here’s at least a picture of what it looks like to journey with Jesus. First→ 

Put Your Expectations In Him. David knew his hope rested firmly in God being Himself. Guys, we don’t have hope from anywhere else. We won’t save the day. We won’t solve all our problems. As parents, no matter how deeply you love your kids, you can’t spare them from the pain of this world. BUT, Jesus is the loving God. He won’t ever leave or forsake you. He has plans and purposes even in the midst of incredible struggles, so turn your eyes to Him and determine to trust Him. In the process, strive to→ 

Live Above Reproach: Turn From Sin & Avoid Shame. After acknowledging his hope comes from God, David immediately asks to be rescued from his own sin. When a Christian falls into sin, the piranhas are ready to strike and make a public example of your sin. Live above reproach, even when it’s hard because Jesus has transformed your heart and called you to a fuller life. Live above reproach even when it’s hard because there are eyes watching you to see how a Christian walks through life in times like these.  And→ 

Remember His Sovereignty. After these, David says he realizes nothing in his life could happen without God allowing it. Now, he is silent for a completely different reason. If God is in it, there is purpose, even when you don’t see it. Take comfort in that and→ 

Be Honest With Your Struggles. The bulk of this closing section is hard to read because, like in Psalm 38, it doesn’t end on a positive note. In fact, he ends by asking God not to even look at him! What? Can you pray for that? What’s he asking? He is crying out for relaxation from his trouble. He’s admitting that he’s overburdened. As we’ve said the past two weeks, we should be that kind of honest with Jesus in our prayers. However, we also want to keep perspective. Even in his despair, he has not let sight of this incredible truth→ 

Remember You’re Not Of This World And Only Passing Through. He calls himself a sojourner and guest. He realizes this world is not his real home. He was made for something and someplace else, and his stay here is temporary. Notice, however, that he says he is wandering through this life WITH God. He’s not walking through this world alone...ever...and neither are you. 


TAKEAWAYS

    Do you want to live life when it’s hard? Do you want to be a dad who loves your kids like Jesus? You and I both need to remember, at least, these truths:


  1. Watch what you say.

  2. Don’t waste the moments.

  3. Remember, you’re walking with Jesus, so openly lay your struggles at His feet. You’re not meant to be Superman.





No comments:

Post a Comment