Enter your e-mail address below to get Musing Upchurch sent directly to your in-box!

Past Ponderings

Friday, May 23, 2014

PONDERING...Teaching and The Class of 2014

Disclaimer: All material on this blog reserves the right to be an incoherent rambling.

As the end of this school year approaches, sentimental man that I am :D, I have been thinking a lot about the Class of 2014. This graduating class was special to me in many ways. Not only were they amongst the most brilliant, creative, ....and frustrating students I've encountered, but they were also freshmen when I began teaching--so we started this journey together. They were my first seminar (4-year advisement group), and my first sophomore English class. Several were in my Fellowship of Christian Athletes club and were officers when they left; a select 30 or so served their time in my seminar; and nearly all of them were either in one of my classes or tutored for me (or both). I watched them grow into young men and women, and the growth was incredible. Along the way, they taught me a lot about being a teacher, and I grew, too. 

So many names and faces jump into my head now--awesome memories. I pray I never forget those hours of essay writing, motivational talks, free advice, book clubs, after school Bible conversations, and laughs...a lot of laughs. They were the class that voted for my pathetic beard to win the beards for babies competition, chose me to be taped to a wall during an assembly, took joy in hiding my water bottle, and turned my daily gallon of drinking water...into Kool-aid. And, they were a class I was proud to watch last week walk across a stage. They stole their way into my heart and really seemed to take me into theirs, as well. It was a great four years, and I will miss them.

They are why I teach. These crazy kids, and those like them, are not just my profession (though I could not do this without them...literally), they are my calling. He sent me to serve Him by serving them.

"Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness." James 3:1 ESV

Students are both the greatest challenge and chief reward of teaching. They can lead to near insanity, premature graying, and uncontrollable face twitches that cause others to stare. Yet, they are why we do this, right? With few exceptions, one would be hard pressed to find a teacher who did not enter this field because they cared about students. 

Unfortunately, some lose sight of that over the years. I have actually been admonished by several experienced instructors (none with whom I am employed) not to "hope I'll make a difference in lives", or not to "teach to impact students". That kind of thinking, apparently, will only lead to disappointment. My experience has been very different, and I believe it is a difference of purpose. Colossians 3:23-24 teaches, "23 Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, 24 knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ" (ESV). If it's all about Him, it's never really about me...or my recognition, glory, acclaim, happiness, acceptance, swag...etc. It's about doing what He's called me to do. I don't teach to make a difference--He does that.

There are disappointments, frustrations, and general "crazies" in every walk of life. That comes with living in a fallen world. Yet, we are called not to be conformed to this world, but transformed by the renewal of our minds so that we "may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect" (Romans 12:2 ESV). God's calling, His will, for every believer will always be the same. Only locations will differ. We are to love God, and love people (which should naturally imply sharing God's message of hope to those people). Wherever He's sent you, do that.

And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.'  31  The second is this: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these." -Mark 12:30-31

End of ramble.

Ponder, pray, and propagate your perceptions.

Upchurch-Out

As always, feel free to comment below... in the section that reads "Post a Comment".




2 comments:

  1. Great testimony of teaching, I enjoyed reading this. Thank you for all you do for the students, it really is a calling. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete