Enter your e-mail address below to get Musing Upchurch sent directly to your in-box!

Past Ponderings

Sunday, March 29, 2015

PONDERING... To Be Unshaken In This World

GIST: To be unshaken by this world, believe in Jesus, trust His promises, remember His person, embrace His plan, and pray in His name.

What? 14 verses! I know this is a long passage for me. :)

John 14:1-14  "Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me.  2  In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?  3  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.  4  And you know the way to where I am going."  5  Thomas said to him, "Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?"  6  Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.  7  If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him."  8  Philip said to him, "Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us."  9  Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?  10  Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works.  11  Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe on account of the works themselves.  12  "Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father.  13  Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.  14  If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.

To be unshaken by this world
"1 Let not your hearts be troubled..."
Remember the context here, Judas has just left to betray Christ, and Peter has been told of his forthcoming denial. Jesus is explaining that He, the one who has called and led them for three years, is going to be killed. Though He has explained that this will be done for His glory and our salvation, it is easy to understand that the disciples might not have been looking on the up side here.

So, Jesus tells them why they should. In the same way, He tells us why we, in the face of the trials and temptations that inevitably come, should not be downhearted. It's easy to fall into a funk. I'm am guilty of non-hip funkiness myself. Nonetheless, we have ever reason to stand boldly. Here's a few He gives:

believe in Jesus,
"1...Believe in God; believe also in me."
It's not an accident that Jesus starts His admonish with belief in God, AND a clarification that that belief should equate to belief in Him (Jesus is God.)

Our hope rests in Him alone. We cannot hope in Him unless we believe He is worthy of our hope. Many people believe in a historical Jesus. This is a long shot from saving belief in Jesus as God.

trust His promises,
2  In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?  3  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.
There are two promises He mentions in these verses:
1. Salvation
2. His Return

Remembering that we have been saved by unmerited grace, & that this is not our permit home, but Jesus is coming to take us to Heaven puts the troubles of this world in perspective.

remember His person,
 6  Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.  7  If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him...9...Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?  10  Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works.  11  Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe on account of the works themselves. "
That is, remember who He is.
1. The Way- The only way to heaven.
2. The Truth- Truth is Jesus. There is no truth apart from Him.
3. The Life- All life is through and for Him.
4.... God- Jesus is GOD.

embrace His plan,
12  "Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father.
He wants to use us for His purpose--spreading His message of love and forgiveness to the world. We will not do greater things that Jesus because we're greater, but because He will use us to continue His work.

"The word “greater” cannot refer to the miracles themselves, for the works of the apostles did not exceed those of Jesus in power. No higher exertion of power was put forth, or could be, than raising the dead. But, though not greater in themselves considered, yet they were greater in their effects. They made a deeper impression on mankind. They were attended with more extensive results. They were the means of the conversion of more sinners. The works of Jesus were confined to Judea. They were seen by few. The works of the apostles were witnessed by many nations, and the effect of their miracles and preaching was that thousands from among the Jews and Gentiles were converted to the Christian faith. The word “greater” here is used, therefore, not to denote the absolute exertion of power, but the effect which the miracles would have on mankind. The word “works” here probably denotes not merely miracles, but all things that the apostles did that made an impression on mankind, including their travels, their labors, their doctrine, etc."- Barnes

and pray in His His name
  13  Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.  14  If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.
Prayer is not just talking to ourselves. It is communion with God. when we're conformed to His purpose, we will ask in His will.

"In my name - This is equivalent to saying on my account, or for my sake. If a man who has money in a bank authorizes us to draw it, we are said to do it in his name. If a son authorizes us to apply to his father for aid because we are his friends, we do it in the name of the son, and the favor will be bestowed on us from the regard which the parent has to his son, and through him to all his friends. So we are permitted to apply to God in the name of his Son Jesus Christ, because God is in him well pleased Mat 3:17, and because we are the friends of his Son he answers our requests. Though we are undeserving, yet he loves us on account of his Son, and because he sees in us his image. No privilege is greater than that of approaching God in the name of his Son; no blessings of salvation can be conferred on any who do not come in his name."- Barnes

No comments:

Post a Comment