Enter your e-mail address below to get Musing Upchurch sent directly to your in-box!

Past Ponderings

Sunday, May 31, 2015

PONDERING... 2014-2015 School Year Reads

As a teacher, I require my students to read three books a semester: 1 classic, 1 nonfiction, and 1 free choice. Since I require this of them, I promise to do likewise. This is the link to what I have been reading. Updates may be sporadic. Reviews will be brief.

The Inverted Forest: A Novel (Free Choice)
-Not Recommended... Boo.

Burning Down the House: Essays on Fiction (Non-Fiction)
-Not a conclusive piece. Unless this is assigned, don't waste yo' time.

The Rose Metal Press Field Guide to Writing Flash Nonfiction: Advice and Essential Exercises from Respected Writers, Editors, and Teachers (Non-fiction)
-Awesome book for writers. This was a textbook I actually enjoyed.

The Man Who Was Thursday (Classic)
-AWESOME. Read. This. Book.

The Complete Father Brown Mysteries (Unabridged) (Classic)
-WONDERVA. Solid. Classic. Mystery.

The Complete Guide to Writing Science Fiction: Volume One - First Contact (The Complete Guide to Writing Series) (Non-fiction)
-An interesting textbook piece. So much valuable information for writing all types of fiction (special emphasis on Sci-fy and Fantasy).

The Very Best of Fantasy & Science Fiction: Anthology (Part-Classic/Part-Free Choice)
-Ok. So this book was split. It is a nice collection of class-to-modern pieces. The first 150 or so pages were great examples of classic pieces. Once the modern era was reached, as I feared, it had a tendency to throw standards to the side and left me behind as a reader. Though it ended on a strong note, I would only recommend reading the first half.

John Donne's Holy Sonnets (Classic)
-Wonderful reads.

Spurgeon's Sermons May 1858 (Classic/Nonfiction)
-Good stuff. So insightful!

Preacher and Prayer (Classic/Non-Fiction)
-In progress. So far nice, short, practical, and convicting.

Everyone's A Theologian (Non-Fiction)
-I liked it. A nice overview work.

Memorization Article Series (Non-Fiction)
-Good points here. Very interesting and challenging (in the sense of "making me want to do this") read.

That Hideous Strength (Classic/Free Choice)
In process. Lewis=Brilliant!

http://dailysciencefiction.com/ (Free Choice)
Usually pretty good flash science fiction pieces.

The Demigod Dairies (Free Choice)
I was pretty impressed by Riordan's son's piece in here. Overall, I'd rate this as "average". I nice, quick read.

Conquer Your Fear, Share Your Faith (Non-Fiction)
Encouraging. Convicting. Well articulated.

Constants:
The Bible (Classic/Non-Fiction)

No comments:

Post a Comment