Enter your e-mail address below to get Musing Upchurch sent directly to your in-box!

Past Ponderings

Thursday, May 21, 2015

PONDERING... Graduation 2015 and the Spidey-Speaker

I had the blessing of being asked to speak at graduation this year. Please continue to pray for the class of 2015.

Attached are the video, an image, and the full-text of the speech. The text is a little different from what was actually said because nerves of course change delivery.




GIST: If you live for something greater than yourself, find your place and purpose, and develop a character worth being true to, then you’ll make the kind of difference that matters.
OPENING: Welcome to Graduation 2015! First, let me explain to the confused parents that I really am a teacher at the high school and not a confused student who stood up at the wrong time. Secondly, let me say thank you to the class of 2015 for asking me to speak today. I was really pretty blown away when C-Dope Southern told me I’d been nominated because I was pretty sure most of you didn’t like me. But then I remembered how many of you have had to give speeches in my classroom, and I realized that this might just be some sort of elaborate revenge. Which, if that was the case, well played…. because I’m terrified, but truly honored.
When I was praying about what to say, I started thinking about your class. Two words came to mind: Carefree and Creative. Though there are clear exceptions, the vast majority of you were pretty carefree in my classes. And most of the time that was a pretty good thing. But more than that, you were creative. I still use several of your projects as examples in many of my classes. On top of that, of all the nicknames that have been chosen in my renaming of students process… your class has had some of the best. HAPPY CHRIS, C-DOPE, ATLANTA, KEITH, ZACKYPOO, HYDRA, CUZ, GOVA RO, TEDDY, JUNGLE, DOCTOR, Y-VON, DUB-Step, PETER PARKER, SCOTTY THE DRAGON, ROSEY, and PORTIA.
After thinking about who you were, I thought about how that would impact what I had to say. Well, I’m not sure it actually changed anything. If you’ve heard me speak before, it will probably be pretty similar because honestly,  I’m not that prolific, but I am an English teacher, so I encourage you to look that word up.
I know you’ve been swamped with advice lately, so I will try and keep this as short and sweet as possible. Basically, if I could leave you with anything, I give you these four points. 1-Live for something greater than yourself 2-Find your place and purpose, 3-Develop a character worth being true to, and the 4- You’ll make the kind of difference that matters.
I. Live for something greater than yourself
King Solomon taught, “Before destruction a man’s heart is haughty, but humility comes before honor.” (Proverbs 18:12 ESV).  We live in the society that is flooded with inspirational posters...most involving images of small animals doing things that are supposed to make us feel warm and fuzzy. And it’s not only posters. Those are just examples of our cultural mentality. And really, we’ve grown up on this stuff. I have small children at home: a 4 year old, a 3 year old, and one that’s almost done cooking. We read a lot of children’s books. Basically, the message is always the same….and it’s the same thing that is apparently on the mind of every kitten that gets stuck in a tree: You can do anything.
One of my kid’s favorite books is a great example. It's called “Dream Big Little Pig”...which is super fun to say, but probably won’t make it onto an inspirational poster. Basically, the whole story is about a pig overcoming odds and becoming a figure skater...and a skydiver. And I don’t want to say this isn’t a good story. It’s fine. The problem is, when we make this our mantra, it leads to arrogance. It so easy to slip into this self-centered mentality, too. See we grow up hearing “you, you, you” which we, of course, receive and convert to “me, me, me”.
And there really is so much that each of you can do. However, while striving for excellence, do not become a slave to recognition and selfish ambition. Pride taints everything, but a humble heart accomplishes more because it’s not seeking glory for accomplishing anything. Humility recognizes that at the end of the day, this life isn’t all about you. Do not fall victim to vanity. Live for something beyond yourself.
This truth has meant so much in my life. It’s a lesson I need reminded of everyday. I’m still very far from perfect, but I know a guy who is.
II. Find your place and purpose
Like I said, there is so much that each of you could do, but COULD and SHOULD are two very different words. Just because there are a bunch of doors in a house doesn’t mean they will all take you where you’re trying to go. If you decided to ignore this, and just went for the door that “moves you” the most… well, your trip to the kitchen might take you to the bathroom instead...and I guess there is an off chance you might find something edible in there, but it definitely wouldn't be the experience you were expecting.
Now, I know most of you get this. That’s why you spend so much time worrying about what to do next, and why you cringe when nearly every well-meaning adult in your life asks you about your plans for the future. It’s scary. I know. And you have been getting all kinds of advice on this, and will continue to get all kinds of advice from everyone...random strangers included. It will get overwhelming, but listen to them. Try to learn some things..and, when in doubt, refer back to the advice I’m about to give you :D.
First off, I’m going to advise you not to follow your heart. I know this goes against most of what you’ve heard you’re entire life, but unless you have a heart completely different from my own, I’d say it’s just not a great decision making principle. About 2500 years ago, a man named Jeremiah said, “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?” (Jeremiah 17:9 ESV) I agree with him. See, if I were to follow my heart, I’m pretty sure I’d have to ignore the whole “live for something greater than myself” thing. My heart tends to go for the immediate and the most enjoyable or personally beneficial...but that’s not always the best. Instead, I’m going to give you the same advice my dad gave me. To find your place and your purpose, your calling in life, if you will: Find where you have the most joy in service and see the most benefit to those you’re serving...and do that.
Sure, dream big like the little pig. Don’t be limited by your own expectations or the expectations of others. Just make sure you do most of your dreaming while you’re sleeping and most of your “actually doing something” while you’re awake because you can’t find where you are most joyful and useful until you’ve done stuff. Start opening doors. You might stumble into a few bathrooms, but eventually you’ll find that kitchen. And you’ll know you’re in the right place when you not only love what you’re doing, but see it benefiting those around you.
III. Develop a character worth being true to
We toss around the word integrity a lot. But integrity just means remaining true to whatever is at the core. So, in essence, integrity is only as valuable as what it is remaining true to...whatever that core is. I want to charge you with developing a character that is worthy of your integrity. Much in life is fleeting. Most of you will agree that the past four years have flown by. Many of you are getting ready to go in all different directions. But nothing is set in stone. You won't be in those specific places with those specific opportunities & challenges forever. Intelligence, relationships, hardships, victories, position, popularity...it all comes and goes. But character, who you are at the very core...who you are no matter who is or isn't watching you, that's going to last. And it’s a life-time development kind of thing. It’s a struggle. But it’s worth it. Don’t wait until you’ve gotten through your early twenties and “sown your wild oats”. Eat oats. Develop character.
IV. Make the kind of difference that matters
I want to leave you with  this final application point. If you live for something greater than yourself, find your place and purpose, and develop a character worth being true to, then you’ll make the kind of difference that matters. You may be the next President of the United States, or you may develop a renewable energy , or you may cure cancer, or you may leave a financial legacy that will be envied by Bill Gates and Steve Jobs.... But, you may not. And at the end of the day, what really matters is not the size of your impact, but the depth. Even if that influence rests only in the hearts of those nearest you, if that influence touches and changes those hearts, in my estimation, it's the greatest impact...and the only one worth leaving behind. And I truly believe that this happens when you consistently live for something beyond yourself, searching diligently for your personal calling, and developing an upright or righteous character.
Oh, right, and I had one last point! Remember, also,  as a good friend of mine always says: “With great power comes great responsibility.”
Have a great life and make wise decisions. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment