Enter your e-mail address below to get Musing Upchurch sent directly to your in-box!

Past Ponderings

Saturday, June 27, 2015

PONDERING... Branches that Bear Fruit (John 15:1-11)

Branches that Bear Fruit

GIST: Jesus wants us to abide in Him so that we will be the branches that bear fruit.

SCRIPTURE: John 15:1-11 

I used this passage as an object lesson in youth to show how we can study the Bible. We broke down the piece into the main point (the word abide is used 11 times in 17 verses...so it was a clear one to point out). Then, we took each verse and asked: Why is this here? What is He teaching us in context?

1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser.  2  Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit.  
- Stage is set. (See previous lesson on the roles of the Vine, Vindresser, and Branches)

3  Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you.  
- The disciples' condition is established...and the reason for it. (Note: this is not implying that we are all likewise clean,  but we can be likewise cleaned--through the Word!)

4  Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.  
- Metphor explained. Abide (stay within, live in, be surrounded by) in Jesus if you want to bear fruit (cf. fruit of the Spirit in Galatians 5...). Fruit are a reflection of their source. Apples grow on apple trees...etc. To bear fruit, in this context, is to live like Jesus.

5  I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.  
-Remember, repetition is used for emphasis. Jesus is clearly trying to make sure we get that He is the source of true life.  However, He also adds further explanation by saying not only will we not bear fruit apart from Him, but we can do nothing without Him. Our very life is from Him alone. 

6  If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned.  
Reminder of the seriousness of our condition. Without abiding, without fruit, we are running toward Hell.

7  If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.  
The opposite of being cast into Hell is abiding in Jesus. Letting His words abide in us results in this kind of intimate communion with God (see next week's lesson).

8  By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples.  
- The end goal: our abiding results in fruit bearing which glorifies God and testifies/proves our relationship with Him.

9  As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love.  
- Look at this love! Can you be more loved than the Father loves the Son? No. We are to live in that love. But how? Never forget. Thank Him for it. Meditate on it. Live in light of this great blessing despite circumstances. AND---> verse ten

10  If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love.  
-AND here's how. We abide in His love when we keep His commandments. Now, this doesn't seem to make any sense. But remember, His commandments are designed to give us life as HE intended. When we live like Him, and seek His words, we are surrounded and consumed by His love. By this we come to know Him more fully.

11  These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.
-He desires that we abide in Him so that HIS joy will be in us. Then our joy will be real and complete. Nothing and no one else can satisfy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment