Enter your e-mail address below to get Musing Upchurch sent directly to your in-box!

Past Ponderings

Friday, June 26, 2015

PONDERING... John 15:1-8 (Vinedresser, Vine, and Branches)

GIST: Breaking down the vine metaphor into three roles: Vinedresser, Vine, and Branches.
 
John 15:1-8  "I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser.  2  Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit.  3  Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you.  4  Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.  5  I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.  6  If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned.  7  If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.  8  By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples.

Vine and Vinedresser
Vine (Jesus)- 3  Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you.  4  Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.
-Source of life

Vinedresser (Father)-2  Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit.
-Lost to Hell
-Saved Pruned
--Note: Purning hurts. It isn't pretty. It's not what you'd think would work, but it's the only way to bring a vine back to it's source and allow true growth...full potential growth.

Vine and Branches
Vine (Jesus)-5  I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.
-Source of Life

Branches (people...church)- 6  If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned.  7  If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.  8  By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples.
-Those who follow...grow; lost do not
-One sign of fruit= God-centered prayer. We will pray in His name, and He will do His work in our lives.

-This kind of living glorifies God AND is a sign of those who are truly saved

No comments:

Post a Comment