Enter your e-mail address below to get Musing Upchurch sent directly to your in-box!

Past Ponderings

Sunday, September 27, 2015

PONDERING... Unity and Purpose (John 17:20-26)

Unity and Purpose

GIST- Jesus prays that we have a unity of purpose that we may be one with Him and that the lost may see Him in us.

Scripture- John 17:20-26  (Read in context of the entire prayer/all of Chapter 17)

The Unity of Our Purpose
20  "I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word,  
     We touched on this last week. Here we see that Jesus is not only praying for His disciples, but for all those who will believe by their words (the inspired word of God they would spread…the Gospel).
     (Note: Some would say that this is a separate portion of the prayer. That is, they would assume that the first portion was only for the disciples, and this latter portion is only for us. However, I do not believe the sentence structure lends itself to separation, and can go into that in more detail for anyone who wants to personal message me. However, do not get so caught up in trying to figure this out that you miss out on what Jesus is praying.)
     First, He establishes His request, and I don’t want us to overlook this because we’ve heard it so often. Jesus prays that we may be one. There are two sides to this coin.
     1- That We Would Be One With Each Other:
21a  that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, (emphasis added)
     First, just as the Trinity is in perfect unity, so are all believers to be. I’ve heard Tim Keller say that one of the beautiful signs of Christianity is the unity it creates. We connect with people we would never have connected with before. People from all walks of life are brought together under the banner of Christ. This is how it is to be. Just like Jesus tells His disciples in John 13:35 "By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another" Unfortunately, it's not. I'm not. We are often too concerned with our differences and not consumed enough by the love that binds us. God, please change my heart and forgive me.
     2- That We Would Be One With God
21a  that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, (emphasis added)
     And here again we have a moment that we can be quick to take for granted. God wants us to be one with Him--Not that we are to be Him, but we are to be in perfect communion with Him. If there is anyone that actually reads these posts, please stop right now and just meditate on this...and pray that I do the same. 

The Purpose of Our Unity
     So…why? Why does God desire this for us? What’s the purpose of our unity with God? Again this answer is two fold…and reflects, again, God’s heart.
     1- For The Benefit Of The Lost-
21b so that the world may believe that you have sent me.  22  The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one,  23  I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me. 
     First, we see God desires for believers to be one with one another and one with Him so that more will experience this blessing. Look at the language here. We are to have His glory. What? Remember, His glory (the praise and exaltation of His name) is most purely given when He is most clearly seen. Thus, He gives us His character. We are not one in being with Him, but will reflect Him (His person and nature) when we are His. This glory will result in perfect unity between believers and Christ--God revealed. People living for Him and loving each other like Him… that is compelling. That is His design. AND He uses this to call more people into this blessed life. Why would we ever want or let the Church become anything less?
     
     2- For Us-
 24  Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world.  25  O righteous Father, even though the world does not know you, I know you, and these know that you have sent me.  26  I made known to them your name, and I will continue to make it known, that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them."
     Second, and lastly, we see that again this comes back to His love for us. He wants us to be with Him, to know Him, to see Him in all His fullness, all His glory. In fact, in His death and resurrection, He is continuing to make Himself known to us "that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them.” Amen!

     Jesus prays that we have a unity of purpose that we may be one with Him and that the lost may see Him in us. Lord, may we live this for Your glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment