Enter your e-mail address below to get Musing Upchurch sent directly to your in-box!

Past Ponderings

Friday, August 10, 2018

PONDERING... Live, Laugh, Love, Leap (Graduation 2018)

Live, Laugh, Love, Leap (Graduation 2018)
GIST: Live for something greater than yourself, laugh a lot, love the truth, and leap outside your comfort zone.
Let me just start by saying thank you for giving me this opportunity. You guys have truly been a special class, and the few rushed moments we have on that last day to say our goodbyes never feels like a enough time to really put into words how much you have been appreciated and how much you will be missed.
I’ve been told by several of you to “keep this short”, so I’ll do my best to honor that request :). Really, as I was thinking about what to say to you guys today, there were a few points that kept coming into my head, and I realized if I summarize each point with one word it would actually be so cliche and cheesy that you might even remember it: Live, Laugh, Love...and I’m also throwing in a fourth one, Leap, but I’ll come back to that in a second. So basically, every time you go into Hobby Lobby, or the Dollar Store, or maybe your grandma’s bathroom, chances are high you’ll see these three words and be reminded of what we talked about today. Which, now that I think of it, it might be strange if you’re thinking about this in your grandma’s bathroom😀... but anyway, I’m supposed to keep this short, so let’s break these down.

I. Live… for something greater than yourself.
These words will probably be familiar to many of you, Proverbs 16:18, “18 Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.” Destruction. That’s a big deal. As in pride will destroy you! It’s so true, too. We live in a world that pushes pride. Everywhere you turn you’re being told you can be and do whatever you want and not to let anything stand in the way of that. Here’s the deal: there really is so much each of you can do. And, man, I know you guys are going to do awesome things. Chase excellence, but don’t become a slave to vanity. Pride taints everything, but a humble heart accomplishes more because it’s not seeking glory. You guys are awesome, but life is about more than you. You want to live life to its fullest? Then don't let selfish ambition get in the way of that. Jesus Himself said He came not to be served, but to serve! We should do likewise.

II. Laugh… a lot.
I can be fairly confident that anytime I go to “give advice”, God is going to make sure I’m taking it, as well. I needed reminded of this this week. As I faced an onslaught of essays to grade on Monday--I was pretty grumpy. I even had to go apologize to some people for getting a little bit snippy--and you guys think of me as a pretty happy guy! But, let’s face it, grumpy is easy. Being negative is easy. In fact, it’s become so accepted that it’s almost expected. Belittle everything and you won’t have to worry about being ridiculed yourself. How sad is that?
Now, I know life won’t always be easy. In fact, there are probably harder times ahead of you than there are behind. How do you face that with joy? See point one😀. Despite my essay-induced grumpiness, most of the time I’m pretty upbeat. Some of you, over the years, have even asked me why. It’s because my hope is built on a foundation that is unshaken by the things of this world. You can live for yourself, but you'll probably let yourself down.  If you let the things of this world define who you are, then when these things fall apart, you’ll come crashing down with them. However, when your hope is in something more than yourself, it doesn't matter what happens in this world.
Life is too short for drama. Life is too short not to love it! Be joyful... because there's stuff worth being joyful about. Be happy...because you’re still alive! Laugh...because it's fun! Smile...because you're blessed! Rejoice...because there is so much to be thankful for.

III. Love… the truth.
Now, I have to throw this qualifier out there really quickly, because I don’t want you to think I’m loosening my stance on PDA. Not that kind of love! I’m talking about loving the truth. That won’t be easy either.
About 2,000 years ago when Paul was writing a letter to the church in Philippi, he gave these instructions, “8...whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things” (Philippians 4:8).  Here at Farmington, we value character. Because of this, you’ve heard us talk about integrity a lot. But integrity just means remaining true to whatever is at the core. If the core is messed up, integrity is meaningless. So, develop a character that is worthy of your integrity. Much in life is fleeting. You won't be in these specific places with these specific opportunities & challenges forever. Intelligence, relationships, hardships, victories, position, popularity...it all comes and goes. But character, who you are at the very core...who you are no matter who is or isn't watching you, that's going to last. And it’s a life-time development kind of thing. It’s a struggle. But it’s worth it. Whatever is true, and pure, and excellent--think about these things. Be transformed by these things. Love, these things. Then you’ll be people who love the truth and truly love. Don’t wait until you’ve gotten through your early twenties and “sown your wild oats”. That’s ridiculous! Eat oats. Develop character. Love the truth.

IV. Leap… out of your comfort zone.
I also had to follow this up with a qualifier pretty quickly because I didn’t want you to take this as a “do parkour” point. That might ruin my whole “wise decisions” rep. What I mean is, don't be afraid to mess up. Don't be afraid to leave what is comfortable to do what is right. In fact, living a life that is for others rather than yourself, laughing with joy in the face of great hardship, and loving the truth of an upright character won’t be comfortable. But don't be afraid.
To close today, I’m going to put this into practice. When Dr. Hostetler told me I had been nominated to speak, for whatever crazy reason, doing this was the first thing that came to my mind--and it is completely out of my comfort zone...and completely insane. But I’m going to live for something greater than myself here and give you all a chance to laugh at me as I make a fool of myself...because I love you guys. (See how I snuck those points in there!) When you were sophomores, my first and only “hit single” came out on “the youtube”… the plagiarism song. And several of you would proceed to beg me to play it in class, but I refused because… quite honestly… I was terrified. So to make up for those moments of cowardice, I’ve rewritten a condensed version of this for the occasion, and rather than play it in front of 30 students at a time, I’m going to put myself forward for the public ridicule of several thousand :D.
SONG “Graduation is Sad”

Have a great life and make wise decisions. Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment