Enter your e-mail address below to get Musing Upchurch sent directly to your in-box!

Past Ponderings

Sunday, January 19, 2020

Do You Have A Shepherd’s Heart? (Acts 20:13-27)

Do You Have A Shepherd’s Heart? (AM Sermon Notes)
PART 1
GIST: God wants to use you to reflect His love to the world. Guard your life. Share His truth. 
SCRIPTURE: Acts 20:13-27
Last week, we started what is a sort of “farewell tour” for Paul as he prepares to make his way back to Jerusalem. At Troas, he stopped and preached for a whole day. So long, in fact, that a young man fell asleep and fell from a window. Immediately following that passage, we’re given this transition. “13 But going ahead to the ship, we set sail for Assos, intending to take Paul aboard there, for so he had arranged, intending himself to go by land.” Man, I’ve seen a lot of speculation about why Paul chose to walk these 20 miles instead of just going by ship. However, the truth is we don’t really know why. We just know he did ☺️. “14 And when he met us at Assos, we took him on board and went to Mitylene. 15 And sailing from there we came the following day opposite Chios; the next day we touched at Samos; and the day after that we went to Miletus. 16 For Paul had decided to sail past Ephesus, so that he might not have to spend time in Asia, for he was hastening to be at Jerusalem, if possible, on the day of Pentecost.” We can all understand that sentiment, right? Sometimes we have to avoid people we love to talk to because we know we need to get to point B ☺️. “17 Now from Miletus he sent to Ephesus and called the elders of the church to come to him.” 
Why is this here? It’s so easy to ignore these passages, but I think there are at least two points to notice here. This kind of information is recorded because it actually happened. This is recorded history!  I also think we get a glimpse here of what we’ll see expounded in the rest of the passage: Paul’s determination to follow God, and his love for those he’ll be leaving behind.
In fact, this is all building toward this “Last Lecture” moment we’ll see in the verses both this morning and tonight. 
Since this is a longer passage, we’ll be chunking it up as we move through it...and doing a part I/part II this morning and evening. However, in opening, I just want to read a portion of the passage that summarizes the gist of both this morning and this evening’s messages. 


“25 And now, behold, I know that none of you among whom I have gone about proclaiming the kingdom will see my face again. 26 Therefore I testify to you this day that I am innocent of the blood of all, 27 for I did not shrink from declaring to you the whole counsel of God. 28 Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God, which he obtained with his own blood.”


Man, I love that passage. In fact, I preached on it the Sunday you voted on me as pastor. Here we have this beautiful picture of Paul’s heart, which is the heart of a shepherd. Though Paul was a pastor speaking primarily to other pastors here, we have to remember that the moral requirements for pastors is the same God expects from all genuine believers. We’re all supposed to have shepherding hearts, like our savior, Jesus! So, here’s the gist for us this morning: God wants to use you to reflect His love to the world. Guard your life. Share His truth.


I. GUARD YOUR LIFE
Look at how Paul starts this address. “18 And when they came to him, he said to them: "You yourselves know how I lived among you the whole time from the first day that I set foot in Asia, 19 serving the Lord with all humility and with tears and with trials that happened to me through the plots of the Jews…” There are several points that struck me when reading these opening verses, but one question really stuck with me—> Should Others Follow Your Example? Would you ask people to look at yours? I can remember years ago helping in a youth class, and the teacher telling the teenagers that they could pretty much do anything I did and be good. I quickly told them not to do that and then moved the conversation along. This wasn’t just mock humility. I knew my heart, and I knew my life. I wasn’t worth following. 
In fact, it might seem like an arrogant thing for Paul to say, but he’s not trying to toot his own horn here, and we’ll definitely see that unmistakably as this message unfolds. He’s just saying he’s tried desperately to model Jesus to them. Talk about transformation! Paul’s whole life was about himself. He was zealous for his reputation. Then, Jesus took over...and everything changed! 
I don’t ever want to sound arrogant by saying “follow my example”. I know I have a long way to go and need grace every day. But here’s the deal, whether I want it or not, there are eyes watching me. The same is true for you. Somebody is looking at you and taking in your example. Man, don’t I want to be worth following? Not by merits on my own, but because I’m letting Jesus change me! 
I could probably chase that rabbit all morning, so let’s look at the four ways Paul tells us this worked itself out in his life. First—> 
Be Humble. He wasn’t trying to draw attention to himself or promote his own agenda. He wanted people to see Jesus. This sounds so easy, but it truly goes against the core of our nature. Naturally, we do seek ourselves. In Christ, our entire desire changes! We don’t want to seek after sin, but we want to be used by Him to point people to salvation because we know who we are and we understand that He loves us anyway… and we want others to see that too! That leads into this second point→ 
Be Compassionate. Where’s that coming from? He said he was there with tears. Everywhere else this word is used it refers to sadness, but what made him sad? He actually tells us later in this passage: “31… I did not cease night or day to admonish every one with tears.” His tears came because he wanted them to see the truth. It’s like Johnathan Edwards’ quote: “How dreadful is the state of those that are daily and hourly in the danger of this great wrath and infinite misery!” Paul weeps for their souls. So should we. This reminds me of one of my favorite passages from the psalms. Psalm 126:5-6 says this: “5 Those who sow in tears shall reap with shouts of joy! 6 He who goes out weeping, bearing the seed for sowing, shall come home with shouts of joy, bringing his sheaves with him.” If we’re truly Christians, we’ll be compassionate people because we’ve been saved by the example of compassion: Jesus Christ. We won’t just be ok with those around us dying and going to Hell. Furthermore, we will→ 
Be Willing To Face Trials. Paul’s life was a series of trials. Everywhere he went, he was met with opposition and hardships. Are you willing for the comforts of your life to be flipped upside down if it means people hear about Jesus? I know that’s not easy. It’s not comfortable to think about, but...that’s the point. The salvation of individuals is more important than our ease. We have to remember that. And lastly, we must→ 
Be Passionate About God’s Word. This is actually the next point, but it’s definitely a characteristic of Paul’s we should want to emulate. He was consumed with God’s Word and teaching it to others. He was hungry for it. I know I say this a lot. I know I’m constantly admonishing you guys to take His Word seriously and dig into it. In part, that is because I want so desperately for His Word to guide my life. I want my hunger for His Word to be my defining feature. Because it’s only then that I’ll passionately→  


II. SHARE HIS TRUTH
Look at verses 20-21. “20 how I did not shrink from declaring to you anything that was profitable, and teaching you in public and from house to house, 21 testifying both to Jews and to Greeks of repentance toward God and of faith in our Lord Jesus Christ.” I know I went longer on those first points, and this is only part one of this passage ☺️, so I’ll try not to be needlessly wordy here. What Paul expresses in these verses is HUGE. We Need To Have A Gospel Focus. There are several aspects of what that will look at expressed here, as well. First, we will→ 
Proclaim Boldly. It says he didn’t shrink from declaring what was profitable. The gospel wasn’t just something Paul was into. It’s the truth everyone everywhere needed (and still needs) to hear. It wasn’t always easy for him to proclaim this. In fact, pretty much everywhere he went it would have been a million times easier just not to say anything, but he didn’t shrink. He didn’t try to hide the gospel. He was bold because he saw their need. The gospel isn’t always easy to share, but we should be bold in our proclamations because it’s worth it! Secondly, he did this→ 
In Public and Private. It says he taught publicly and from house to house. The gospel isn’t just a “church thing”. As a pastor, this is super convicting for me. If I only share Jesus in this setting, from the pulpit or on my social media, but I never share one on one with anyone, I’m shrinking away from the gospel. This is important, but so are conversations with individuals. There has to be a place for both. Jesus taught the multitudes, but he also took time to talk with Nicodemus and the woman at the well! That really leads into the next point here too. We proclaim boldly in public and private→ 
To All. Paul spoke to both Jews and Gentiles. It didn’t matter what their upbringing was— they needed Jesus. We’ve addressed this many times, but the reminder is always needed. Everyone. Everywhere. Needs Jesus. We can never allow personal prejudices to stop us from sharing salvation. Period. Paul didn’t care who they were. He boldly proclaimed in public and private to all→ 
The Gospel! God is loving and holy. We are sinners who deserve Hell. BUT, Jesus came and willingly took on Hell in our place. He died and rose again. If we believe in Him and give Him our lives, we will be saved! That’s the good news we’re boldly to proclaim to the world!
Let’s look quickly at how Paul closes this section.  “22 And now, behold, I am going to Jerusalem, constrained by the Spirit, not knowing what will happen to me there, 23 except that the Holy Spirit testifies to me in every city that imprisonment and afflictions await me. 24 But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.” Again→ We Need To Be Selfless In The Face Of The Bigger Picture! The world needs Jesus...even if it costs us everything. That’s the shepherd’s heart. 
Look at these last few verses. “25 And now, behold, I know that none of you among whom I have gone about proclaiming the kingdom will see my face again. 26 Therefore I testify to you this day that I am innocent of the blood of all, 27 for I did not shrink from declaring to you the whole counsel of God.” He’s Innocent Of Their Blood Because He Proclaimed The Whole Counsel Of God. He didn’t hold anything back. He told them everything he could! Let me just say these two things in closing here. First, this is why I am so convicted about preaching through books of the Bible. I don’t want to miss anything. I don’t want to hold anything back. I want to show you everything I can from God’s Word. Secondly, this is why we should be digging into God’s Word...because we need to know the WHOLE of Him!
Let’s recap in our→ 
TAKEAWAYS
1. God wants to use you.
2. Guard your life.
3. Constantly share the truth that’s constantly changing you!

No comments:

Post a Comment