Enter your e-mail address below to get Musing Upchurch sent directly to your in-box!

Past Ponderings

Sunday, January 19, 2020

PONDERING... Are You Ready To Speak...and Listen? (Acts 25-26)

Are You Ready To Speak...and Listen? (AM Sermon Notes)
GIST: Always be ready to share Jesus by living above reproach, telling people about the difference He’s made and is making in your life, and pointing others to the truth of Scripture. AND, on the flip-side, don’t come up with excuses to just push Jesus away. 
SCRIPTURE: Acts 25-26
This morning, we’re going to try and tackle two chapters together. Sometimes, I do well to get through a few verses, so doing this is always a little ambitious ☺️. However, what we have in chapter 25 is really the set up for chapter 26, so I couldn’t separate them in my mind. Again, we’re coming to Paul on trial. In fact, he’ll be on trial twice this morning! These trials, however, are more about curiosity. Paul has been in custody for two years. A new governor is in town, and he wants to know what’s going on with this guy. For the sake of time, I want to jump straight into our Scripture this morning, so let me give you the gist of what I see here (and it’s a pretty hefty one ☺️). Then, we’ll pray for God’s guidance and dive in! Here’s the gist: Always be ready to share Jesus by living above reproach, telling people about the difference He’s made and is making in your life, and pointing others to the truth of Scripture. AND, on the flip-side, don’t come up with excuses to just push Jesus away. 
Now, let’s walk through chapter 25 to establish the setting here→  
"1 Now three days after Festus had arrived in the province, he went up to Jerusalem from Caesarea. 2 And the chief priests and the principal men of the Jews laid out their case against Paul, and they urged him, 3 asking as a favor against Paul that he summon him to Jerusalem--because they were planning an ambush to kill him on the way.” New governor. Same problems. We could camp out here for a while and just talk about the bitterness of the grudge being held by these Jewish leaders! Do you have anything in your heart like that? Anything you won’t let go? That’s not a main point for this morning, but it’s worth considering, because if you do… it’s a plague on your heart. Lay it down before Jesus today! 
4 Festus replied that Paul was being kept at Caesarea and that he himself intended to go there shortly. 5 "So," said he, "let the men of authority among you go down with me, and if there is anything wrong about the man, let them bring charges against him." 6 After he stayed among them not more than eight or ten days, he went down to Caesarea. And the next day he took his seat on the tribunal and ordered Paul to be brought.” Festus has a much better reputation than Felix did. Here, he acts wisely. He’s not prepared to give over a prisoner who is obviously in Caesarea for a reason until he understands what’s going on. 
“7 When he had arrived, the Jews who had come down from Jerusalem stood around him, bringing many and serious charges against him that they could not prove. 8 Paul argued in his defense, "Neither against the law of the Jews, nor against the temple, nor against Caesar have I committed any offense." 9 But Festus, wishing to do the Jews a favor, said to Paul, "Do you wish to go up to Jerusalem and there be tried on these charges before me?" 10 But Paul said, "I am standing before Caesar's tribunal, where I ought to be tried. To the Jews I have done no wrong, as you yourself know very well. 11 If then I am a wrongdoer and have committed anything for which I deserve to die, I do not seek to escape death. But if there is nothing to their charges against me, no one can give me up to them. I appeal to Caesar." 12 Then Festus, when he had conferred with his council, answered, "To Caesar you have appealed; to Caesar you shall go."It’s clear even from this first encounter, Festus has no idea what to do with Paul. He considers just sending him back to Jerusalem to let them deal with him. This would also put him on their good side, which would be advantageous later. However, remember, Paul was told by Jesus what this whole arrest was about. He’s being taken to Rome to share the Gospel. Also remember, he’s been on house arrest for 2 years waiting to see this happen. Now, he has to be experiencing some deja vu. He’s not about to waste his time with another Sanhedrin kangaroo court experience, so he does what is a sure-fire way to get to where he knows he’s supposed to be going: he appeals to Caesar...and Festus agrees. He didn’t really have a choice. It was Paul’s legal right as a Roman citizen. However, Festus still doesn’t know what to do with him. That’s where these next two come in (literally). →  
“13 Now when some days had passed, Agrippa the king and Bernice arrived at Caesarea and greeted Festus.” These two are part of a very familiar family. Last week, we met Felix’s wife Drusilla, who was the daughter of Herod Agrippa I, the Herod who had James killed and arrested Peter. Well, these are actually her siblings. Bernice, in particular, was known for her immorality. At this point, she had already had, I believe, two husbands, and she’d be moving on after this to other relationships. And, yes, they weren’t living as siblings in this context. So, we have an immoral pair who was very familiar with the spread of Christianity. They came down to greet the new governor, which gave Festus an opportunity to tap these insights.
“14 And as they stayed there many days, Festus laid Paul's case before the king, saying, "There is a man left prisoner by Felix, 15 and when I was at Jerusalem, the chief priests and the elders of the Jews laid out their case against him, asking for a sentence of condemnation against him. 16 I answered them that it was not the custom of the Romans to give up anyone before the accused met the accusers face to face and had opportunity to make his defense concerning the charge laid against him. 17 So when they came together here, I made no delay, but on the next day took my seat on the tribunal and ordered the man to be brought. 18 When the accusers stood up, they brought no charge in his case of such evils as I supposed. 19 Rather they had certain points of dispute with him about their own religion and about a certain Jesus, who was dead, but whom Paul asserted to be alive. 20 Being at a loss how to investigate these questions, I asked whether he wanted to go to Jerusalem and be tried there regarding them. 21 But when Paul had appealed to be kept in custody for the decision of the emperor, I ordered him to be held until I could send him to Caesar." 22 Then Agrippa said to Festus, "I would like to hear the man myself." "Tomorrow," said he, "you will hear him." 23 So on the next day Agrippa and Bernice came with great pomp, and they entered the audience hall with the military tribunes and the prominent men of the city. Then, at the command of Festus, Paul was brought in. 24 And Festus said, "King Agrippa and all who are present with us, you see this man about whom the whole Jewish people petitioned me, both in Jerusalem and here, shouting that he ought not to live any longer. 25 But I found that he had done nothing deserving death. And as he himself appealed to the emperor, I decided to go ahead and send him. 26 But I have nothing definite to write to my lord about him. Therefore I have brought him before you all, and especially before you, King Agrippa, so that, after we have examined him, I may have something to write. 27 For it seems to me unreasonable, in sending a prisoner, not to indicate the charges against him."" It’s almost humorous, right? Festus is nervous because he knows he legally has to send Paul to Rome, but he also legally has to have some kind of charges to send Paul with...and he’s at a loss for that! Even though Paul lays it out for him clearly. Festus even expresses it; he just doesn’t understand it. Look back at verses 19: “...Jesus, who was dead, but whom Paul asserted to be alive. There’s the issue, Jesus! But Festus doesn’t understand. 
So, that all sets the stage for Paul’s response here. I know that was a long “intro”, but I’ll try to move through these observations quickly here. The key takeaway from this section is a call for us to always→  

I. BE READY TO SPEAK
And that starts with a→ 
Testimony of Your Life. This is about your reputation with the world. Look at how Paul starts his response here. “1 So Agrippa said to Paul, "You have permission to speak for yourself." Then Paul stretched out his hand and made his defense: 2 "I consider myself fortunate that it is before you, King Agrippa, I am going to make my defense today against all the accusations of the Jews, 3 especially because you are familiar with all the customs and controversies of the Jews. Therefore I beg you to listen to me patiently. 4 "My manner of life from my youth, spent from the beginning among my own nation and in Jerusalem, is known by all the Jews. 5 They have known for a long time, if they are willing to testify, that according to the strictest party of our religion I have lived as a Pharisee.” He starts by saying, ‘I’m glad I can talk to you because you understand my heritage and can relate to what I’m about to tell you. My whole life, I’ve lived according to Scripture, and you can ask anyone.’ How bold is that? Why can he say this? Because it was true. Before he was saved he had a reputation for living according to the Old Testament Law. Then, Jesus saved him, and he came to more fully understand what that was about, and he lived it. Can you make that claim? Do you live like a Christian? When people look at your life, can they tell that there is something different? The first part of you sharing Jesus with the world is striving to live like Jesus in front of them. This is not some game you play. It should be the product of the transformation Jesus is making in your life. It’s hard to start a conversation about life transformation if your living like you’ve never been changed. However, just living well isn’t enough. Plenty of people live wonderful lives without having any kind of meaningful internal change. Behaving well doesn’t save your soul. We need Jesus to do that, which is why the testimony from our lips has be about Him! He’s what people need. And that is exactly where Paul goes next, and for WAY longer too! → 
Testimony of What Jesus Has Done! 6 And now I stand here on trial because of my hope in the promise made by God to our fathers, 7 to which our twelve tribes hope to attain, as they earnestly worship night and day. And for this hope I am accused by Jews, O king! 8 Why is it thought incredible by any of you that God raises the dead? 9 "I myself was convinced that I ought to do many things in opposing the name of Jesus of Nazareth. 10 And I did so in Jerusalem. I not only locked up many of the saints in prison after receiving authority from the chief priests, but when they were put to death I cast my vote against them. 11 And I punished them often in all the synagogues and tried to make them blaspheme, and in raging fury against them I persecuted them even to foreign cities. 12 "In this connection I journeyed to Damascus with the authority and commission of the chief priests. 13 At midday, O king, I saw on the way a light from heaven, brighter than the sun, that shone around me and those who journeyed with me. 14 And when we had all fallen to the ground, I heard a voice saying to me in the Hebrew language, 'Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads.' 15 And I said, 'Who are you, Lord?' And the Lord said, 'I am Jesus whom you are persecuting. 16 But rise and stand upon your feet, for I have appeared to you for this purpose, to appoint you as a servant and witness to the things in which you have seen me and to those in which I will appear to you, 17 delivering you from your people and from the Gentiles--to whom I am sending you 18 to open their eyes, so that they may turn from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me.' 19 "Therefore, O King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision, 20 but declared first to those in Damascus, then in Jerusalem and throughout all the region of Judea, and also to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, performing deeds in keeping with their repentance. 21 For this reason the Jews seized me in the temple and tried to kill me.”
We’ve heard this testimony before, right? Paul is always quick to share it, and we should be too. What is he telling Agrippa? The story of how Jesus rescued him! He had a personal encounter with Jesus who called him out from trying to kick against what he was made for, and then he was rescued and commissioned to share this message with the world. We might not have a visual experience like this, but this is the salvation story for all of us. Jesus reveals our sins to us, calls us to Himself, and sends us to the world—and we’ll never be the same as a result. What Jesus has done in your life and what He is actively doing should be something you are ready to express at any moment. Try writing it down this week and practice sharing it. Make it second nature, and let God use it! In fact, we probably need to work that into a Sunday evening sometime soon, as well! 
However, Paul doesn’t just give his story; he points to why it matters by giving, or beginning to give before he’s interrupted, the→ 
Testimony of Scripture. Yes, this is where I will take a moment to express the importance of knowing the Word! His Word is the truth the world needs, so we need to know it if we hope to make any lasting impact. That’s exactly where Paul goes last→ “22 To this day I have had the help that comes from God, and so I stand here testifying both to small and great, saying nothing but what the prophets and Moses said would come to pass: 23 that the Christ must suffer and that, by being the first to rise from the dead, he would proclaim light both to our people and to the Gentiles.”
He takes them to the Truth of God’s Word and would have no doubt continued if he wasn’t interrupted in the next verse. Nonetheless, even in this interruption, he continues pointing them to Jesus because he has a→ 
Testimony of Compassion. And so should we. He truly desires for them to know Jesus like he does. How do I know that? Well, he actually says it in verse 29→ ”29… I would to God that not only you but also all who hear me this day might become such as I am--except for these chains.” His heart is to see people saved, even if it comes at great personal cost. Maybe we don’t see many come to Christ today because deep down we don’t really care that much if they do.  
That leads up to the second (and much shorter ☺️) point for this morning. Paul showed us that we need to be ready to speak. Festus and Agrippa, by negative example, demonstrate why we need to→ 

II. BE READY TO LISTEN & RECEIVE
I know this passage is long, so let’s quickly consider their reactions here. First, → 
Festus Is Intrigued By “Insanity”. Look at his interruption of Paul’s testimony. “24 And as he was saying these things in his defense, Festus said with a loud voice, "Paul, you are out of your mind; your great learning is driving you out of your mind." 25 But Paul said, "I am not out of my mind, most excellent Festus, but I am speaking true and rational words. 26 For the king knows about these things, and to him I speak boldly. For I am persuaded that none of these things has escaped his notice, for this has not been done in a corner.” To Festus all of this was nonsense. Paul doesn’t get upset when he hears this. He just says: ‘No, it’s not, and Agrippa should know this. This isn’t some secret truth.’ We shouldn’t be surprised when the world thinks we’re crazy either. Until you’ve encountered Jesus, this Christian life will seem off because it’s so different from what our sinful hearts tell us the world should be like. Festus was intrigued by Paul, but he couldn’t look past how much this challenged his way of looking at the world. On the otherhand→ 
Agrippa Said, “It’s Not That Easy!” Look at his response. “27 King Agrippa, do you believe the prophets? I know that you believe." 28 And Agrippa said to Paul, "In a short time would you persuade me to be a Christian?" 29 And Paul said, "Whether short or long, I would to God that not only you but also all who hear me this day might become such as I am--except for these chains."” Agrippa says, ‘Whoa Paul. Slow down. Do you think you can convince me that easily?’ Again, Paul just responds with, ‘that’s the goal!’ Everyone in this world is looking for something to fix their problems. Unfortunately, the call of Jesus to come and follow Him seems like nonsense to some, and it seems too simple to others. Could it really be as straightforward as giving Him your life? Yes. Agrippa wouldn’t accept that. So, at the end we see→ 
They Heard But Left Unchanged. “30 Then the king rose, and the governor and Bernice and those who were sitting with them. 31 And when they had withdrawn, they said to one another, "This man is doing nothing to deserve death or imprisonment." 32 And Agrippa said to Festus, "This man could have been set free if he had not appealed to Caesar."” The saddest part of this verse isn’t their declaration of Paul’s innocence— we know he’s headed to Rome by God’s design— it’s their leaving without listening to the messenger God sent them in that moment. Let’s pray that no one leaves like that today.
I know I presented a lot to take in this morning, so let me try to recap with our→ 

TAKEAWAYS
1. Always be ready to share what Jesus has done in your life and who He is. 
2. Live above reproach. This is the first line of your witness. 
3. Tell people about the difference Jesus made and is making. This needs to be constantly on your lips.
4. Point people to the truth of the Scripture that is vibrant and living in you! Sharing Scripture should be the natural outworking of knowing it!
5. Don’t create excuses to push Jesus away. Don’t just be a hearer who leaves unchanged.



No comments:

Post a Comment