Enter your e-mail address below to get Musing Upchurch sent directly to your in-box!

Past Ponderings

Sunday, May 24, 2015

PONDERING... Love, Reveal, Indwell (John 14:21-24)

John 14:21-24 ESV - "21 Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him." 22 Judas (not Iscariot) said to him, "Lord, how is it that you will manifest yourself to us, and not to the world?" 23 Jesus answered him, "If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. 24 Whoever does not love me does not keep my words. And the word that you hear is not mine but the Father's who sent me."

GIST: Those who love do, and God loves them, reveals Himself to them, and dwells within them.

I need to hear this. We spoke a few weeks ago about those who love God keeping His commands...thus knowing them. Here we see a continuation of this thought. Who will see the work and movement and presence of God? Those who love and serve Him. If we're not seeing God work in our lives, what are we we failing to do?

1. Love
Write down a list of what it means to be loved. Now consider the difference it makes in a day to know you will see someone who loves you at the end of the day. No matter how bad the day has been, there is hope because you know they will care and comfort. On the other hand, good days are better because of the same reason.

Now, think of the person or people who you feel love you, and show that love, most. God's love is infinitely greater than that love. That is the love that Jesus speaks of when He says, " 23 ...If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him..." Just take a few minutes to consider what that means.

2. Reveal
"...and we will come to him..."
We refers to the trinity (see previous lessons). God will come to those who love and serve Him. He will show Himself. We will see the Holy Spirit at work illuminating scripture, calling sinners to reprentence, reviving the Church...etc. We will "...grow in the grace
and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ" (2 Peter 3:18). Are you experiencing this? I know there are more times than not that my answer t this question would be no. That's a problem. This is what Jesus intends for those who love and serve. Pray that God reveal Himself to you, and reveal what sin might be stopping you from seeing His movement in your life. Don't expect mystical movements with flashing lights. Pray for a desire to see God. Pray to see His glory. He'll show you.

3. Indwell
"...and make our home with him..."
Going back to the first illustration in point one, consider now what difference it makes to go through the day (good or bad) with someone who loves you. It changes everything! You're not having to worry about what other people say or think because the one who loves you is there. 

God promises to live within us. We are His temple. Oh, how that should change everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment