Enter your e-mail address below to get Musing Upchurch sent directly to your in-box!

Past Ponderings

Monday, May 25, 2015

PONDERING... Who is the Holy Spirit

GIST: Who is the Holy Spirit?

This is a huge topic. I'm just going to scratch the surface here.

John 14:15-20, 26 ESV - "15 "If you love me, you will keep my commandments. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, 17 even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you. 18 "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19 Yet a little while and the world will see me no more, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20 In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. ... 26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you."

-What do you think of when you hear about the Holy Spirit?

1. Person- Not a mystical force
2. God- Trinity...Not some lesser god
3. Indweller- Salvation is giving Jesus control. When this happens, we are filled with the Holy Spirit.
4. Helper/Advocate- Hard word to translate. παράκλητος. One who comes along side and helps, guides, and directs
5.Inspiration- Scripture was inspired by Him. He brought to remembrance all that had been taught. Likewise, He guides believers today.
6. Caller- He is that calls believers to be saved.

Here's a little sneak peak into our catechism study that might help, as well.

What do we believe about the Holy Spirit?
That He is God, coeternal with the Father and the Son, and that God grants Him irrevocably to all who believe.
  • John 14:16-17 ESV - "16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, 17 even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you."
How does the Holy Spirit help us?
The Holy Spirit convicts us of our sin, comforts us, guides us, gives us spiritual gifts and the desire to obey God; and He enables us to pray and to understand God’s Word. The Spirit applies to us the redemption purchased by Christ, by working faith in us and by it uniting us to Christ in our effectual calling.
  • Ephesians 2:8 ESV - "8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,"
  • Ephesians 3:17 ESV - "17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith--that you, being rooted and grounded in love,"

  • Ephesians 6:17-18 ESV - "17 and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, 18 praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints,"

No comments:

Post a Comment